Foul mouthing myna bird kept in isolation at Chinese zoo
- Bulandshahr gangrape: Minor victim moves SC, seeks FIR against Azam Khan
- NSG row behind them, Chinese FM Wang Yi holds talks with PM Modi, Sushma Swaraj
- Behind attack on BJP leader Brijpal Teotia: 8 murders & a plot
- Appointment of judges: Break logjam soon or we will step in, CJI tells govt
- Sania Mirza-Rohan Bopanna one win away from Rio 2016 Olympics medal
A myna bird has been sentenced to solitary confinement at a zoo in central China for abusing visitors with a barrage of expletives taught by tourists.
The bird, a common hill myna or Gracula religiosia, is a member of the starling family from hill regions of South Asia and Southeast Asia. It is a master at imitating human speech and singing.
The Jiufeng Forest Zoo in Wuhan, Hubei Province's capital, introduced eight mynas from Vietnam in 2010. Four were put into the its World of Birds exhibit because of their outstanding linguistic talent.
The four birds had learned some simple greetings in Chinese, saying "hello" when visitors arrived and "bye" when they left, Shanghai Daily reported today.
The zoo kept banners in the exhibit to remind tourists not to teach the mynas bad language. But one day recently, one of the birds directed a mild expletive at some tourists, stunning zoo keeper Li Yun who takes care of the birds.
He told the paper that he had heard some tourists try to teach the birds rude words, and said the hill myna is certainly a good learner.
Since hill mynas also tend to learn from each other, the zoo isolated the "angry bird," which will get special training. The training programme includes playing tapes of polite words.
- To his successor, and to the PM and the government, Dr Rajan has left valuable messages
- Instead of laptops and books in their hands these children had stones and grenades
- Gau raksha is seen not just as a desire but a duty by PM Modi's core support
- PM Modi has put the onus for whatever happens in Gujarat on Amit Shah
- Prachanda must address Madhesi aspirations and bring relations with India on even keel
- Inflation has dropped by a large magnitude, during Raghuram Rajan’s tenure as RBI gov