Four Bengal MLAs in hospital after TMC-Left free-for-all in Assembly
- Stakes high for BJP, Congress as 11 states go to polls tomorrow; A Raja, Milind Deora in fray
- Arvind Kejriwal beats BJP PM candidate Narendra Modi in Time magazine's poll
- Priyanka Gandhi continues to target Narendra Modi, rakes up snoopgate
- BJP complains to EC over St Xavier principal's criticism of Modi's Guj model of development
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Modi attacks Gandhis, says family going strong for 60 years, time to build a strong nation
Four West Bengal MLAs had to be taken to hospital on Tuesday after the ruling Trinamool Congress and Left members came to blows inside the Assembly.
The CPM's Kulti MLA, Gouranga Chatterjee, a heart patient who received injuries on his cheek, was taken to hospital along with TMC MLAs Mahmuda Begum (Kumarganj), who was hit in the chest, and Pulok Roy (Uluberia), who was injured in the leg.
The CPM's Ranibandh MLA, Deblina Hembram, a former minister in the Left Front government, was pinned down to the floor and beaten up. After she complained of breathlessness, she too was taken to hospital.
Later, Speaker Biman Banerjee suspended three Left MLAs, a move that raised a fresh controversy. The West Bengal government, however, defended the Speaker's ruling against the CPM MLAs, saying they had "instigated" the violence and rejected the counter-charge against the Trinamool as false.
Tempers ran high after Left members, who had tried to bring an adjournment motion on the mushrooming of chit funds in the state, rushed to the Speaker's podium and started shouting slogans.
Senior ministers Partha Chatterjee, Subrata Mukherjee and Firhad Hakim shielded the Speaker as Left members continued to shout slogans. Subsequently a section of TMC and Left MLAs rushed to the well and came face to face, with Chatterjee and Hakim trying to separate them. Congress members who were asked to join the protests by the Left did not do so.
There was pandemonium as CPM's Kharagpur MLA Nazmul Haque snatched the microphone of the Speaker, who adjourned the House till 1.30 pm.
Trouble broke out again after the House re-assembled. Parliamentary affairs minister Partha Chatterjee demanded that action be taken against Left legislators for "insulting" the Speaker.
The Speaker thereafter suspended Left MLAs Nazmul Haque, Sushanta Besra (Bandwan) and Amjad Hossain (Pandua). As Hembram and TMC MLA Mahmuda Begum got into a verbal exchange, a free-for-all ensued, with the members coming to blows and pulling each other's hair. CPM's Gouranga Chatterjee was later beaten up by TMC MLAs.
- Lalu Prasad hits out at BJP and VHP, says its leaders Giriraj Singh, Praveen Togadia are 'hate mongering'
- Gujarat model a big lie, BJP should clarify: Akhilesh
- Priyanka Gandhi continues to target Narendra Modi, rakes up snoopgate issue
- 2,700 more Muzaffarnagar riots victims apply for relief
- Shazia Ilmi's 'communal muslims' remark: BJP hits out at Aam Aadmi Party
- Battle of Varanasi: Kejriwal tears into Rahul, Modi over 'helicopter democracy'