Four Bengal MLAs in hospital after TMC-Left free-for-all in Assembly
- Jigisha Ghosh murder case: Two convicts get death sentence, life imprisonment for one
- Ban pellet guns in Kashmir, Omar Abdullah-led delegation asks PM Modi
- PM Modi, Afghan President Ghani jointly inaugurate renovated Stor Palace
- AAP doesn't have money to fight election: Kejriwal
- Kicking off UP poll campaign, Mayawati slams BJP-RSS, SP, is soft on Congress
Four West Bengal MLAs had to be taken to hospital on Tuesday after the ruling Trinamool Congress and Left members came to blows inside the Assembly.
The CPM's Kulti MLA, Gouranga Chatterjee, a heart patient who received injuries on his cheek, was taken to hospital along with TMC MLAs Mahmuda Begum (Kumarganj), who was hit in the chest, and Pulok Roy (Uluberia), who was injured in the leg.
The CPM's Ranibandh MLA, Deblina Hembram, a former minister in the Left Front government, was pinned down to the floor and beaten up. After she complained of breathlessness, she too was taken to hospital.
Later, Speaker Biman Banerjee suspended three Left MLAs, a move that raised a fresh controversy. The West Bengal government, however, defended the Speaker's ruling against the CPM MLAs, saying they had "instigated" the violence and rejected the counter-charge against the Trinamool as false.
Tempers ran high after Left members, who had tried to bring an adjournment motion on the mushrooming of chit funds in the state, rushed to the Speaker's podium and started shouting slogans.
Senior ministers Partha Chatterjee, Subrata Mukherjee and Firhad Hakim shielded the Speaker as Left members continued to shout slogans. Subsequently a section of TMC and Left MLAs rushed to the well and came face to face, with Chatterjee and Hakim trying to separate them. Congress members who were asked to join the protests by the Left did not do so.
There was pandemonium as CPM's Kharagpur MLA Nazmul Haque snatched the microphone of the Speaker, who adjourned the House till 1.30 pm.
Trouble broke out again after the House re-assembled. Parliamentary affairs minister Partha Chatterjee demanded that action be taken against Left legislators for "insulting" the Speaker.
The Speaker thereafter suspended Left MLAs Nazmul Haque, Sushanta Besra (Bandwan) and Amjad Hossain (Pandua). As Hembram and TMC MLA Mahmuda Begum got into a verbal exchange, a free-for-all ensued, with the members coming to blows and pulling each other's hair. CPM's Gouranga Chatterjee was later beaten up by TMC MLAs.
- Farm incomes may not revive despite good monsoon
- India’s new line that Pak will have to pay for cross-border terror was overdue
- Just how did Pakistan become so central to the definition of Indian patriotism?
- Why AAP needs to go back to school
- Next door Nepal: Detente in Kathmandu
- PM's Balochistan policy: Gameplan, gambit or gamble?