Four Bengal MLAs in hospital after TMC-Left free-for-all in Assembly
- Thousands turn up at Narendra Modi's Varanasi roadshow, BJP's PM candidate files nomination papers
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Congress moves EC over Modi's roadshow in Varanasi
- From Marandi vs Soren to Deora vs Sanyal: Top 5 battles in Lok Sabha polls Phase 6
- Rahul Gandhi joins sister Priyanka in attacking Narendra Modi on snoopgate
- Elections 2014 Phase 6 LIVE: 40 per cent electorate caste vote in first seven hours
Four West Bengal MLAs had to be taken to hospital on Tuesday after the ruling Trinamool Congress and Left members came to blows inside the Assembly.
The CPM's Kulti MLA, Gouranga Chatterjee, a heart patient who received injuries on his cheek, was taken to hospital along with TMC MLAs Mahmuda Begum (Kumarganj), who was hit in the chest, and Pulok Roy (Uluberia), who was injured in the leg.
The CPM's Ranibandh MLA, Deblina Hembram, a former minister in the Left Front government, was pinned down to the floor and beaten up. After she complained of breathlessness, she too was taken to hospital.
Later, Speaker Biman Banerjee suspended three Left MLAs, a move that raised a fresh controversy. The West Bengal government, however, defended the Speaker's ruling against the CPM MLAs, saying they had "instigated" the violence and rejected the counter-charge against the Trinamool as false.
Tempers ran high after Left members, who had tried to bring an adjournment motion on the mushrooming of chit funds in the state, rushed to the Speaker's podium and started shouting slogans.
Senior ministers Partha Chatterjee, Subrata Mukherjee and Firhad Hakim shielded the Speaker as Left members continued to shout slogans. Subsequently a section of TMC and Left MLAs rushed to the well and came face to face, with Chatterjee and Hakim trying to separate them. Congress members who were asked to join the protests by the Left did not do so.
There was pandemonium as CPM's Kharagpur MLA Nazmul Haque snatched the microphone of the Speaker, who adjourned the House till 1.30 pm.
Trouble broke out again after the House re-assembled. Parliamentary affairs minister Partha Chatterjee demanded that action be taken against Left legislators for "insulting" the Speaker.
The Speaker thereafter suspended Left MLAs Nazmul Haque, Sushanta Besra (Bandwan) and Amjad Hossain (Pandua). As Hembram and TMC MLA Mahmuda Begum got into a verbal exchange, a free-for-all ensued, with the members coming to blows and pulling each other's hair. CPM's Gouranga Chatterjee was later beaten up by TMC MLAs.
- At least 65 EVMs replaced in six Lok Sabha seats in Assam
- Twitter cofounder talks of 26/11, Indian farmers in new book
- UP records over 24 pc voter turnout till 11 AM, 20 per cent turnout in Chhattisgarh
- Arvind Kejriwal lashes out at BJP for attack on Somnath Bharti
- ANF official accused of killing youth a gallantry award winner
- Maharashtra: Poor turnout till 9 am in third phase of polling