Four convicted of attacking Lt Gen K S Brar imprisoned for 14 years
- CBI sought part RTI exemption, Govt gave it full
- Screen Awards: Milkha, Ram-Leela and Madras Cafe dominate
- DGCA seeks fresh public objections after clearing AirAsia for take-off
- Delhi: 51-year-old Danish national alleges gangrape, 15 detained for questioning
- I wonder if I will be able to ever reunite with my husband, my kids. I miss them: Devyani
Over a year after the attack on 1984 Operation Blue Star hero Lt Gen Kuldip Singh Brar, a UK court on Tuesday sentenced all four convicts in the case to up to 14 years in prison. The accused were convicted of slashing the throat of Lt Gen Brar.
The former Armyman was attacked while he was taking a walk with his wife Meena in Old Quebec Street in central London on September 30, 2012.
Mandeep Singh Sandhu (34) of Birmingham, Dilbag Singh (37), Harjit Kaur (39) of London and Barjinder Singh Sangha (33) of Wolverhampton were convicted by Southwark Crown Court.
Lt Gen Brar was involved in Operation Blue Star against Sikh militants in Amritsar in June 1984. The victim's role in the Indian Army had "made him a target of Sikh extremist groups", the jury was told. Following the verdict, Mari Reid, of the Crown Prosecution Service, said: "The group targeted Lieutenant General Brar in revenge for his actions during his military career and today's convictions are another reminder that the UK will not tolerate extremism of any kind."
- Live: Kejriwal does a U turn, urges people to come in largeÂ numbers
- Women competent enough, they need opportunities, saysÂ Rahul
- â€˜Modi has a majoritarian, authoritarian attitudeâ€¦ such a policy and style of govt would be a disaster for thisÂ countryâ€™
- â€˜Narmada water not reaching farmers for want of minor canalsâ€™ | The Indian Express