Four cops booked for custodial death
- Vijay Rupani sworn in as the Chief Minister of Gujarat
- PM speaks: Gau rakshaks anti-social, so angry to see shops in cow’s name
- Punjab: RSS leader shot at in Jalandhar, condition critical
- Bhiwandi: Several feared trapped under debris after building collapse
- Kashmir unrest: Separatists make it personal, name police officers
Police on Sunday registered an FIR against four policemen, including three sub-inspectors, in Firozabad for allegedly thrashing a youth to death. However, no one was arrested.
On Friday, the police arrested 26-year-old Zeeshan along with his associate Shamshad and recovered a country-made pistol and charas. Both were booked under Arms Act and NDPS Act, and produced in court on Saturday which sent them to judicial custody.
At night, Zeeshan complained of pain in stomach. When his condition deteriorated, the jail doctor referred him to district hospital where he was declared brought death.
After family members of deceased came to know about it, they rushed to hospital and staged a protest. They claimed that police had thrashed Zeeshan badly following which he suffered serious injuries and died.
On the basis of a complaint filed by the family of the deceased, the north Firozabad police station lodged an FIR under various sections of IPC including 302 (murder).
The accused are S-I Rajendra Pratap and Senior S-I Rajveer, both attached with north Firozabad police station, S-I Ashish Kumar and one constable. Ashish Kumar is in-charge of the district Special Operation Group (SOG) team.
- The plight of Dalits in Gujarat cannot be attributed only to BJP rule
- More than a new building, Parliament needs an update of its procedures
- It is time the UN had a woman and a feminist as its secretary-general
- CM Mufti appropriates language of struggle, but BJP-PDP alliance erodes her legitimacy
- Revenge of the powerless voter
- Across the aisle: Good sense triumphs, danger lurks