Four more bodies identified in Nagaland; Gogoi wants CBI probe
- Mulayam Singh Yadav questions death penalty for rape, says 'boys make mistakes'
- Narendra Modi slams Mamata Banerjee, says she is playing vote bank politics
- #WhyiVoted: Let's hear it from India
- Jet flight out of contact for 30 mins, causes panic, 2 pilots grounded
- Elections 2014 Live: BJP sacks Jaswant Singh's son Manvendra
With the identification on Sunday of four more of the nine bodies that were recovered in Nagaland in highly decomposed state on Friday, the number of victims identified has gone up to five. All of them hailed from Assam and the killings are believed to be related to the ongoing violence in the Karbi Anglong district.
Meanwhile, Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi Sunday sought a CBI probe into the killings. An official press note from the CM's office said Gogoi called up his Nagaland counterpart Neiphiu Rio and expressed concern over the killing of nine persons from Assam in the hill state. The SIT begins probe into murder of 9 in NagalandAssam government would write to the Centre for a CBI probe into the killings, official sources said.
Karbi Anglong deputy commissioner P K Buragohain said the four bodies were identified to be of persons from different villages of the Upper Deopani area under Bokajan police station. "They were all construction labourers working near Kohima and had gone missing on December 28 after they had left Kohima for Bokajan," Buragohain said.
Earlier, one of the nine bodies was Saturday identified as that of Harlangbi Ingti (23), taking the number of identified bodies to five. All of them belong to the Karbi community and are suspected to have been abducted and killed by miscreants in Nagaland in retaliation to the killing of nine Rengma Nagas in Karbi Anglong last week by militants belonging to the Karbi People's Liberation Tigers (KPLT).
Meanwhile, night curfew has been extended for an indefinite period in the police station areas of Bokajan, Chokihola and Borpathar, with authorities apprehending trouble in the wake of the killing of Karbi persons in Nagaland. Four or five persons were picked up by the police late Saturday evening for their alleged involvement in arson and violence and are being interrogated, Buragohain said.
- Neemu Bhoumik seeks LS entry; people’s issues, Raiganj roots in mind
- Another Bittu, Simerjit file papers as Independents
- Firing at district food and civil supplies office, one injured
- Day after stand-off with EC, Didi vows ‘revenge’ over ‘insult’ by Delhi
- ‘Hate’ speech: Amit Shah moves HC for stay on arrest, quashing of FIRs
- Adarsh Shastri ‘covers’ for AAP’s Jaaferi