Fourth body recovered from debris
- Arvind Kejriwal stopped on way to meet Narendra Modi
- Sahara pleads SC to release Subrata Roy to borrow money for refunding investors
- PCâs dig at MoD: Learn from sub accidents, âspend wiselyâ
- SC issues notice to Centre on Kiran Reddy's PIL against creation of Telangana
- Jat quota after riots hurt Muslim sentiments, says Alvi
More than 12 hours after part of a five-storey, 80-year-old building collapsed in Pydhonie, a fourth body, of 35-year-old Rafiq Shaikh, was recovered by the fire brigade at 5.10 am Saturday, after a six-hour search since midnight.
Rafiq was an employee of Noorani Hotel, an eatery in the lane where the building stands.
Imtiaz Siddiqui (25), Puran Mahato (35) and Kamal Shaikh, also employees of the eatery, were killed and four injured when a slab in the MHADA building, Khatija Mansion, set for redevelopment collapsed Friday.
The building was to be demolished soon.
The slab fell from the third floor on Noorani Hotel, trapping several people under the debris.
Local MLA Amin Patel said, "Officials of MHADA, housing department and the collector visited the site and a detailed report will be prepared. Once the cause of the collapse is known, action will be decided."
A small portion of the building had crumbled in August last year injuring wife of the landlord. After the accident, MHADA, which maintains old buildings in island city, served a notice to all 28 tenants to vacate.
While 25 tenants moved out, three — the hotel and two commercial establishments on the ground floor — stayed put.