Fourth official in focus
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Somnath Bharti thrashed by alleged BJP supporters in Varanasi
- Stakes high for BJP, Congress as 11 states go to polls tomorrow; A Raja, Milind Deora in fray
- Arvind Kejriwal beats Narendra Modi in Time magazine's poll of most influential people
- Priyanka Gandhi continues to target Narendra Modi, rakes up snoopgate
- IPL 7 Live Cricket Score, CSK vs RR: RR field, Southee makes his IPL debut against CSK
The television sting aired on Tuesday that exposed cricket umpires agreeing to give favourable results in lieu of fee has also trained the spotlight on the reserve umpire or the fourth umpire. Rarely seen under normal match circumstances, the reserve umpire is part of the inner circle of officials and is therefore privy to vital match information.
The reserve umpire, like the match referee, on-field umpires and the third umpire, has access to information including that regarding the nature of pitch, playing XI and weather conditions prevailing.
This pre-match information that helps betting syndicates fix odds is what two Sri Lankan umpires - Sagara Gallage and Maurice Winston - were purportedly relaying to undercover reporters during the sting operation aired on Monday.
When the International Cricket Council conducts their 'urgent investigation' after studying the tapes aired by India TV, they will need to take a call on further checks and balances with regard to reserve umpires, who are picked by the home boards from their national panel, and over whose selection the ICC has no direct control.
Chairman of the Indian cricket board's sub-committee Niranjan Shah said that the BCCI does appoint umpires from its national panel as fourth umpires. "It is up to the boards to decide to appoint someone from the national panel as the reserve or the third umpire," Shah said.
Only in games in which the Decision Review System is used does the reserve umpire need to be picked from the International Panel.
"Fourth umpires, except when there is DRS, can be chosen by the home board from their top domestic panel. Fourth umpires at DRS matches need to be International umpires," ICC's head of media and communications Colin Gibson told The Indian Express.
- Lalu Prasad hits out at BJP and VHP, says its leaders Giriraj Singh, Praveen Togadia are 'hate mongering'
- Gujarat model a big lie, BJP should clarify: Akhilesh
- Priyanka Gandhi continues to target Narendra Modi, rakes up snoopgate issue
- 2,700 more Muzaffarnagar riots victims apply for relief
- Shazia Ilmi's 'communal muslims' remark: BJP hits out at Aam Aadmi Party
- Battle of Varanasi: Kejriwal tears into Rahul, Modi over 'helicopter democracy'