Freebies, subsidies alone won’t help development, says FM
- India withdraws visa issued to Uyghur leader Dolkun Isa after Chinese protests
- Pakistan FS to visit India for Heart of Asia meeting; scope for bilateral talks
- Parliament LIVE: Uttarakhand crisis due to Cong's internal problem, says Rajnath in LS
- Chief Justice makes impassioned plea to Modi govt: Need you to act, don’t just criticise
- LIVE: 22.63 pc polling till 9 am in fourth phase of WB elections
Freebies and subsidies alone would not help in economic development and youth should seek self-employment, finance minister P Chidambaram said today.
"If a country needs to grow, its people stand on their feet and see a strong economic growth, it cannot depend on freebies and subsidies alone. My high command and myself (as finance minister) have a clear direction on the progress of the nation," he said here inaugurating 17 branches of REPCO Bank in Tamil Nadu and Puducherry.
Noting that freebies and subsidies can be provided in the beginning, he said, it was the responsibility of the government to create jobs or self-employment for its youth.
"The UPA government has a clear vision of creating jobs for its youth. But there are hurdles. If the branch of a bank is opened, then a question is being raised," he said.
"A friend of mine commented saying by opening bank branches, people have been made debtors. There is nothing wrong in taking loan for creating business and self-employment. Only taking bribe is wrong and not a loan...," he said.
- Relieve the president of the thankless task of putting his signature to the proclamation
- Is Handwara the beginning of another scorching summer of discontent in the Valley?
- Maharashtra has not spent less on irrigation. The real problem is its high cost
- Kipling’s Burma and Myanmar’s Kipling
- Next Door Nepal -- China is welcome, India is not
- This govt has men, women ready to shoot to kill even without orders