From Kolkata to Wasseypur
- Amit Shah moves HC against FIRs on hate speeches
- Defiant Azam Khan stands by Kargil won by Muslim soldiers remark, gets EC notice
- Lok Sabha elections LIVE: Polling ends in Nagaland, Manipur, Meghalaya, Arunachal
- SC refrains from staying government move to include Jats in OBC category
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Naveen faces crisis of confidence, says Hemant Soren
A low-down on the Bollywood zeitgeist, 2012
A for act of god
The killer punch of the season's high-concept small film OMG: Oh My God! set the audience laughing, yet thinking. The movie earned Paresh Rawal his status as a character artiste with leading man appeal, while producer Akshay Kumar relished playing the modern-day Krishna to the hilt.
B for begum
Name: Kareena Kapoor Khan. Marital Status: Married to the Nawab of Pataudi, Saif Ali Khan. Saif and Bebo finally made it official. The shaadi was classy, the Dawat-e-Walima packed. The nawab and his begum live happily after.
C for contract killers
From Kahaani's Bob Biswas and his "Nomoshkar...Ek minute" to Gangs of Wasseypur's eerily quiet Ram Yadav, this year contract killers were the real item numbers. Theirs was the real hit list.
D for dengue
Post the unfortunate death of Yash Chopra, B-town was instilled with fear. It was a sight to behold when the municipal corporation started its anti-mosquito drive around film studios to get rid of mosquito breeding sites. Now if only someone did something about the condition of studio loos!
E for 'Ek Main Aur Ekk Tu'
The delightful Imran Khan-Kareena Kapoor romcom that tweaked the romcom template. Refreshingly, the boy did not get the girl in this one. Another reason to love the film: the addictive "Auntyji" song.
F for Fevicol
Kareena took over from Malaika's Munni and Fevicol replaced Zandu balm in Dabangg 2. The song is a lyric Nazi's delight and makes a solid plea for the extreme limit of harassment. Sample this: Main toh tandoori murg hoon yaar, gatkale saiyaan alcohol se.
G for ghost
It was a busy year for the spirits out there. Bollywood dialled G for ghost with Talaash and Raaz 3.
H for hundred
As in, one hundred years of Indian cinema, as well as the much-famed Rs 100 crore club. Bollywood continued its fascination with Sachin Tendulkar's favourite number. Here's the tally for the year: Agneepath, Housefull 2, Ek Tha Tiger, Bol Bachchan, Rowdy Rathore, Barfi, Son of Sardar, Jab Tak Hai Jaan, Dabanng 2.
- Walmart to launch 50 stores in big India push
- Poojary banking on ‘sympathy’ for Dakshina Kannada seat
- Solution to water woes key factor in Chikkaballapur
- Eying 85 pc turnout, election dept offers many sops
- Last day, last show: Parties flex muscles, try to connect with one & all
- From societies to slums, Adhalrao-Patil on the move