From today, no 9-car trains in Western Railway suburban section
- Naxal threat has to be quashed with a firm hand, says Pranab, as Maoists kill 16 in Chhattisgarh ambush
- Malaysia military tracked missing plane to the west coast
- AAP defends Rs 20,000 per person dinner with Kejriwal, says it was transparent
- Bhagwat cautions RSS cadres against crossing limits for BJP
- Narendra Modi's new found love for Bihar a ploy to win votes: Nitish Kumar
Nine-car local trains will cease to be in operation in the suburban section of Western Railway (WR) from Wednesday and half-a-century run. The first nine-car service ran on WR on March 2, 1961. They were being replaced with 12- and 15-car services and the last of the lot, 26, are getting replaced by 12-car services on Wednesday.
The WR had already converted 24 nine-car services into 12-car services earlier this month.
This is only part of the good news for commuters in the suburban section of WR. There are 55 new services in the offing by January 2013 including two women's specials and 14 more 15-car services.
According to Mahesh Kumar, General Manager, WR, 40-45 will be introduced by December-end as three more rakes, a 15-car rake and two 12-car rakes will be pressed into service.''
There are fourteen 15-car services already running.
The end of nine-car services will also mean end of confusion among women commuters about position of compartments for them as maximum services.
The 12-car rakes will generate additional carrying capacity and decongest peak-hour traffic.
As per statistics provided by WR, in the last five years, there has been 113 per cent increase in 12-car services which has increased carrying capacity by 34 per cent. In comparison, there has been an 11 per cent rise in the commuters. In the last two years 317 nine-car services have been converted into 12-car.
More coaches for Rajdhani
Recently WR increased three coaches in the Rajdhani Express and by December-end, three coaches will be attached to the August-Kranti Express. "A new pit has been constructed in Mumbai Central terminus. WR attached three more coaches to the Rajdhani Express. One more pit to accommodate 24 coaches is under construction. Construction will be completed by end of December, and WR will attach three more coaches to the August-Kranti,'' said Mahesh Kumar General Manager, WR.
- Internal Maoist document targets 12 political leaders
- Forces didn’t follow SoP, says MHA
- ‘Teesta NGOs got foreign donations worth Rs 4 cr’
- Unable to pay to cheat, another student tries to kill himself in UP
- ‘Ignored’ by AAP, Mallika says won’t contest LS elections
- He didn’t want to lose a year, mother had mortgaged ring to arrange ‘bribe’
- AAP workers stage protest outside Kejriwal’s residence over ticket distribution
- BJP boycotts NDTV over news gaffe | The Indian Express
- Out of the promised 50,000 homes for the poor, not even 50 constructed in Gujarat by BJP: Kejriwal
- Kejriwal Gujarat tour: The unfamiliar politician | The Indian Express