Fund crunch put vital police projects on hold
- Government issues high alert, says Islamic State expanding area of terror
- Putin vows to hunt down those who bombed Russian plane in Egypt
- Mani Shankar Aiyar to Pakistan channel: Remove Modi for talks to resume
- Chittoor Mayor shot dead while trying to save husband
- Hyderabad nursery student dies after head gets stuck in school lift
Another source said, "It also means that all major projects for this Five Year Plan will be taken up only in the 13th Plan. This will delay development a great deal. The government is also asking all departments to reduce the number of schemes due to shortage of funds."
The Delhi Police wanted Rs 606.21 crore for modernisation of traffic and communication network, but only Rs 282.03 crore was sanctioned. It wanted Rs 2,401.48 crore for its building programme, but was given Rs 1,117.25 crore. The project for induction of latest technology and capacity building needs Rs 28.09 crore, but got only Rs 13.07 crore. The police had asked for Rs 992.58 crore for its housing scheme, but was granted just Rs 461.13 crore.
The slashed budget is expected to affect all security forces under the MHA.
- Europe’s challenge: Find a political solution to the quagmire in West Asia
- Surrogacy isn’t morally reprehensible, surrogates should be seen as workers
- One world, one battlefield
- With five states polling soon, the great Indian election will continue without recess
- Why Stockholm punches above its weight in innovation and entrepreneurship
- Responses to Mumbai, Paris attacks were strikingly different. But India has learnt since