Fund crunch put vital police projects on hold
- Patel row: Army conducts flag march to restore peace; seven dead in violence
- I know the exact cause of Sheena's murder: Indrani's son Mikhail Bora
- 26/11 Mumbai attack: Pakistan FIA did not probe role of Hafiz Saeed and David Headley
- Two US television journalists shot dead during live show; gunman dies in hospital
- OROP: Ex-servicemen say govt short changing them, dismiss its proposal
Another source said, "It also means that all major projects for this Five Year Plan will be taken up only in the 13th Plan. This will delay development a great deal. The government is also asking all departments to reduce the number of schemes due to shortage of funds."
The Delhi Police wanted Rs 606.21 crore for modernisation of traffic and communication network, but only Rs 282.03 crore was sanctioned. It wanted Rs 2,401.48 crore for its building programme, but was given Rs 1,117.25 crore. The project for induction of latest technology and capacity building needs Rs 28.09 crore, but got only Rs 13.07 crore. The police had asked for Rs 992.58 crore for its housing scheme, but was granted just Rs 461.13 crore.
The slashed budget is expected to affect all security forces under the MHA.