Fund for Boston victims reaches $20 million
- The gongs of Behmai: 35 years on, will justice be served?
- Mann Ki Baat: Start-up India to crop insurance, here's all that Modi said
- J-K crisis: Mehbooba to chair PDP meet, discuss govt formation
- MCD strike: Kejriwal supports demands of protesting employees
- Fifth Column: Hope PM Modi has realised that India is not Gujarat
With outpouring of donations from across America, the fund for victims of the Boston marathon blasts has crossed the USD 20 million mark, officials said. "Boston is strong and made stronger by the outpouring of support," Boston Mayor Menino said after visiting injured and their families.
Menino said authorities would ensure that this generosity makes it to victims as swiftly and responsibly as possible. One Fund Boston was established by the Boston Mayor and Massachusetts Governor as a central depository for charitable contributions to benefit victims of the tragic April 15, 2013 marathon bombings.
Well over 50,000 individuals have contributed USD 5 million, sending in checks and donating over the web at onefundboston.org. More than 60 corporate donors have
committed a total of USD 15 million.
So far, John Hancock, AT&T, Bain Capital, Partners Healthcare, New Balance, and Liberty Mutual have all pledged USD 1 million each to the fund. Dozens of companies have invited employees and customers to give as well.
- China is not India’s sibling, nor is China India’s nemesis
- Bureaucrats are an obstacle in path of ‘parivartan’, ‘vikas’
- Out of my mind: Netaji will always remain a promise never fulfilled
- Reverse Swing: A Manifesto for Middle-Eastern Migrants in Europe
- Equality before law must be accompanied by equality in social practices
- Indian policymakers underestimate problems emanating from emerging economies