Fund for setting up camp office: South civic body orders probe
- No compromise with live-ins or gay rights, moral values supreme: RSS
- In Mumbai, new warship system malfunctions, Navy officer killed
- SC calls Sahara proposal an âinsultâ, Subrata Roy to stay in jail till March 11
- I'm not a terrorist, Modi should have met me: Arvind Kejriwal
- Express 5: Lalu's daughter at Ram Kripal's home and another Navy officer killed
An audit committee will inquire into issue of South Municipal Corporation commissioner Manish Gupta using an allowance amount of Rs 1.25 lakh to set up a camp office at home.
The committee will submit its report within ten days, Rajesh Gehlot, chairman of the Standing Committee, said on Tuesday.
The allowance of Rs 1.25 lakh was paid to the South municipal commissioner according to an executive order of the Delhi government to maintain a camp office at home.
Leader of the Opposition Farhad Suri alleged that the commissioner was entitled to this allowance only with the prior approval of the House.
"According to the information I gathered from senior officials, an officer under deputation is bound by the allowances admissible to the borrowing department (the MCD in this case). It has been brought to our notice that several officers in the designation of additional commissioner have been drawing this amount in the past, against the advice of the Finance department. In this case, the money was drawn by the commissioner without informing the House. This is in violation of the Delhi Municipal Corporation Act," Suri said. He has demanded a CVC inquiry into the matter.
The Delhi government has approved funds of Rs 1.25 lakh, which can be availed once in five years by IAS officers of Delhi, Andaman Nicobar Island Civil Services.
Manish Gupta said, "It was a Delhi Cabinet decision to pay us allowances. We need not take approval from the House. The matter was discussed with senior Delhi government officials and an official memorandum was issued stating that this allowance is extended to those working on deputation in autonomous and local bodies. Since MCD is also a local body, it should be given to us. Let the probe report of the audit committee come."
- Chai pe Charcha gets police protection, EC officials to check on poll norm violation
- Complaint against Kejriwal: Kutch cops gather evidence
- AAP chief to hold first public meeting in Gujarat today
- Nominations for North Bangalore primary begin
- ‘Our campaigning in the state will be out of the box’
- ‘Aai Retire Hotey’ to take the stage for 100th time today