Game is bigger than all: Leander Paes
- Not RSSâs job to chant âNamo, Namoâ, canât cross limits: Bhagwat
- Malaysia Airlines flight case: âFakeâ passports mystery deepens
- Mocking Nitishâs âPM hopesâ, Modi woos Muslims, Yadavs
- Dalit teen canât pay to cheat in exam, immolates himself
- DMK has room for Raja, Baalu, not for Alagiri
Veteran India tennis star Leander Paes does not see anything wrong in players discussing their grievances with the association but says the sport should not suffer in the process.
Eleven top players made themselves unavailable for the tie against South Korea and AITA was forced to field a depleted team for the Asia/Oceania Group I tie, starting Friday.
"I personally don't believe that rebellion is important. But communication should always be open. Game is bigger than all of us, it will always will be. End of the day, sport is most important. Whether it's the Association, or players or you guys (media), essence should not be lost," Paes, a veteran of 48 Davis Cup ties, said.
"In any walk of life, battles are there to be fought but the core of, the essence of, for what we are here for, should not be lost. And that is what's being lost. Tennis should not suffer, country should not suffer," he said.
As the 39-year-old star spoke assertively about the supremacy of the game, he was asked why he chose to skip the New Zealand tie in September last year.
Asked why he did not mentor the young side in Chandigarh, he defended his decision.
"At that time, I had a prior agreement, which I had signed. In 24 years, I have missed only three ties. It's long time playing. When you have a contract, you have a commitment.
The other two ties, I was injured," he said.
Paes said he had discussed the issue with Somdev, who led the rebellion, demanding better playing conditions but did not divulge much about that, saying that would be unfair to Somdev.
"In the last 12 months, the partners I had, have switched around. I had no choice. As far as myself is concerned, I have never delved into selection, I have never done that even when I was captain. For me, I play for the flag, I am very respectful of the guys sitting alongside.
- BJP Dalit leader mounts pressure on Kejriwal over AAP’s stand on reservation
- PGI gets 10 new glaucoma cases of kids every month
- Balongi: 4 more water samples fail; 3 kids among 4 new patients
- Kejriwal gave ‘misleading information’ about assets, complainant tells court
- Was told not to talk of Jaspal Bhatti… He was my husband, my motivation: Savita
- Delhi EC moots longer polling hours
- AAP workers stage protest outside Kejriwal’s residence over ticket distribution
- BJP boycotts NDTV over news gaffe | The Indian Express
- Out of the promised 50,000 homes for the poor, not even 50 constructed in Gujarat by BJP: Kejriwal
- BJP complains to EC against Rahul over RSS remarks, seeks derecognition of Congress