Gandhi clan tours Amethi, Rae Bareli
- Bihar polls: Jitan Ram Manjhi announces alliance with BJP
- NSCN-K plans revenge attack; high alert sounded across Northeast
- Pak Senate slams Modi's remarks, passes resolution
- Parrikar says those who 'fear India's new posture' have started reacting
- Airtel calls it ‘standard solution’, but experts say 'spy code' is illegal
The entire Gandhi family Sonia, Rahul and Priyanka toured the twin constituencies of Amethi and Rae Bareli today, meeting Congress workers and locals in an apparent bid to galvanise the party after its dismal performance in the Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections.
Priyanka on her first visit to the two Lok Sabha constituencies since the Assembly elections assured people in her brother Rahul's constituency, Amethi, that she would visit them regularly.
Priyanka landed at Fursatganj airport with her brother, and met 150 women at the Rajiv Gandhi Charitable Trust office in Jais. These women had received training under the Rajiv Gandhi Mahila Vikas Pariyojna. "She showed us that the role of women has changed and they are no longer confined to the kitchen," one of them said.
Priyanka then left for Rae Bareli to join her mother while Rahul stayed in his constituency. She held block-wise meetings of party workers at Bhuemau guest house and spoke about strengthening the organisation and development works, sources said. Sonia also met party workers and locals at the guest house. Some women workers of a closed factory raised slogans against the Congress president, alleging that the textile and carpet factory was non-operational for eight-nine months.