Gang hacks engineer’s bank account, diverts calls to keep him in dark
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Kejriwal on dharna against attack on Bharti; Modi to file nomination from Varanasi
- Modi to Cong: Just 20 days more...Will take revenge
- SC to frame rules to snip govt ads
- Donât allow regional parties to contest LS polls: Chavan
- Elections 2014 Phase 6 LIVE: Modi urges youngsters to vote; Medha Patkar alleges money distribution by parties
The Samta Nagar police are on the lookout for a gang that allegedly hacked into an IIT engineer's account and diverted his mobile calls to keep him in the dark about the transactions. Police said gang members transferred Rs 1.75 lakh from the victim's savings account into six no-frill bank accounts opened in the names of illiterate persons.
A mobile number mentioned while opening the six accounts was traced last week to a Chinese national who had checked into a five-star hotel in Delhi. Investigations revealed that a he was involved in the racket and had local accomplices who opened fake accounts under the 'Azadi Savings Account' scheme.
Police said on November 15 last year, complainant Chinmay Das, 35, a resident of Lokhandwala complex in Kandivali (East) found that his mobile phone was displaying a 'no network' sign. He tried to restart the phone and inserted the SIM card into another phone, but to no avail. Assuming that his SIM had worn out from usage, he called the customer care centre of his mobile network service provider.
A customer care executive informed Das that calls and messages to his mobile phone number had been diverted to another number, due to which his own SIM card did not show any network. Under the impression that the SIM card was faulty, Das then asked the executive to start the process of canceling the card, which took more than three hours, said the police.
When Das switched on his phone later, he found six messages from his bank informing him that a total Rs.1.75 lakh had been transferred from his account to six accounts in places such as Rajasthan and Ghaziabad.
Das waited for the bank statements and on December 13 last year, he lodged an FIR with the Samta Nagar police.
- Hyderabad blast 2013: Agencies hunt for Mangalore ‘source’
- Police raids Giriraj Singh's home to arrest him for hate remarks
- Main accused in hawala racket has underworld links: Police
- Sindhu, Kashyap advance, Srikanth exits early at Asian C’ships
- Adhiban recovers, stays in lead
- 1 jumps to death as fire breaks out in Surat 10-storey building