Gangrape victim a martyr for cause of women's safety: NCW
- Lalu Prasad fights rebellion, 9 MLAs back to RJD fold, blames Nitish Kumar for hatching a conspiracy
- Shinde does a u-turn, says he meant to 'crush' social media, not electronic media
- In Gujarat, 2 Congress MLAs quit to join BJP
- Kejriwal says communalism bigger threat than graft
- Leopard injures seven, Meerut locks itself in
Calling the 23-year-old gang-rape victim a "martyr" for safety of women, the National Commission for Women (NCW) today asked both civil society and the government to work together to stop such crimes in the future.
NCW chairperson Mamata Sharma said the civil society should also assist the government in amending laws related to sexual assault on women.
"The young girl is martyr in the name of women's safety. Everyone, the government and the civil society should work together and help in amending laws relating to sexual assault against women," she said.
It was the duty of everyone to ensure that such incidents
do not recur in the future, she said. The paramedic student, who was gang-raped and brutally assaulted by six men in a moving bus on December 16, died "peacefully" at the Mount Elizabeth Hospital in Singapore where she was airlifted on Wednesday night.
Her condition took a turn for the worse last night andshe passed away in the wee hours today due to multiple organ failure.