Gangrape victim ostracised in Chhattisgarh village
- Malaysian plane crashes off Vietnam coast; 5 Indians on board
- No compromise with live-ins or gay rights, moral values supreme: RSS
- In Mumbai, new warship system malfunctions, Navy officer killed
- SC calls Sahara proposal an âinsultâ, Subrata Roy to stay in jail till March 11
- I'm not a terrorist, Modi should have met me: Arvind Kejriwal
A 15-year-old victim of gangrape in tribal-dominated Lailunga area of the district is allegedly facing social boycott.
The girl was raped last month and 10 persons were arrested for the crime.
It was alleged that she and her family were facing boycott by the locals at Kupapani village following the incident after which police officers visited the village and held a meeting.
"We recently visited the village and had a meeting," Lailunga police station in-charge I Tirki told PTI today.
"In the meeting, local MLA Hridayaram Rathiya as well as leader of local Gond community dismissed reports (of boycott), saying that village panchayat had not issued any boycott call," he said.
However, a villager told PTI on condition of anonymity that village elders did ask the family not to show up at functions, saying that the girl had 'vitiated' the atmosphere.
The victim was raped by ten youths, including two minors, when she had gone to her relatives' place in Patthalgaon in the district on December 2.
- Chai pe Charcha gets police protection, EC officials to check on poll norm violation
- Complaint against Kejriwal: Kutch cops gather evidence
- AAP chief to hold first public meeting in Gujarat today
- Nominations for North Bangalore primary begin
- ‘Our campaigning in the state will be out of the box’
- ‘Aai Retire Hotey’ to take the stage for 100th time today