'Gang-rape' victim sets herself on fire in Ranchi
- Jigisha Ghosh murder case: Two convicts get death sentence, life imprisonment for one
- Ban pellet guns in Kashmir, Omar Abdullah-led delegation asks PM Modi
- PM Modi, Afghan President Ghani jointly inaugurate renovated Stor Palace
- AAP doesn't have money to fight election: Kejriwal
- Kicking off UP poll campaign, Mayawati slams BJP-RSS, SP, is soft on Congress
A college girl today committed suicide by setting herself on fire after she was allegedly raped by four youths near Getalsud dam on the outskirts of Ranchi.
The victim told the police before she succumbed to her burn injuries in a hospital that her 'lover' Vritranjan Prasad and three of his friends took her near the dam on March 17, raped her one by one and branded her as a "prostitute" before dumping her there alone, Superintendent of Police (Rural) A V Minz said quoting her statement.
The girl, who was a student in a college in Ranchi, identified the three friends as Utam Mahto, Gouri Shankar Munda and J Kujur, the SP said.
She hailed from a village in Ranchi district and was brought to the Rajendra Institute of Medical Sciences in Ranchi city by her family members in extremely critical condition.
The statement further said that in the garb of being in love with her, the youth allegedly exploited her, and the inhuman act by the four came when she asked Prasad to marry her.
She also phoned Prasad after the incident for the marriage, but the latter disconnected the phone abruptly after repeating the same words "no" and "prostitute".
- Cow protection, paradoxically, poses a threat to the BJP’s project of Hindu unity
- The government needs to distinguish between crooked NGOs and genuine ones
- India’s quest for Olympic medals is hampered by history and geography
- The Modi government is meeting its development targets before time
- Raja Mandala: The Great Wall of China
- Farm incomes may not revive despite good monsoon