'Gang-rape' victim sets herself on fire in Ranchi
- Mad rush, chaos as Arvind Kejriwal takes local train to woo 'aam aadmi' in Mumbai
- SC defers hearing on Sahara's plea on releasing Subrata Roy
- IAF aircraft on standby for missing Malaysian Airlines search ops
- Presidential delay in mercy petitions: SC won't reconsider verdict
- Lalu loyalist-turned rebel Ram Kripal Yadav joins BJP
A college girl today committed suicide by setting herself on fire after she was allegedly raped by four youths near Getalsud dam on the outskirts of Ranchi.
The victim told the police before she succumbed to her burn injuries in a hospital that her 'lover' Vritranjan Prasad and three of his friends took her near the dam on March 17, raped her one by one and branded her as a "prostitute" before dumping her there alone, Superintendent of Police (Rural) A V Minz said quoting her statement.
The girl, who was a student in a college in Ranchi, identified the three friends as Utam Mahto, Gouri Shankar Munda and J Kujur, the SP said.
She hailed from a village in Ranchi district and was brought to the Rajendra Institute of Medical Sciences in Ranchi city by her family members in extremely critical condition.
The statement further said that in the garb of being in love with her, the youth allegedly exploited her, and the inhuman act by the four came when she asked Prasad to marry her.
She also phoned Prasad after the incident for the marriage, but the latter disconnected the phone abruptly after repeating the same words "no" and "prostitute".
Her family members filed an FIR against the four, the police officer said. No arrest has been made so far.
- Rs 1.28 lakh looted at gunpoint
- Venkaiah Naidu sure of BJP crossing ‘magic figure’ in south India
- AAP candidates truly ‘aam aadmi’: Prithvi Reddy
- Bangalore fund-raiser: Dine with Arvind Kejriwal for Rs 20,000
- AAP sounds Gul Panag about Lok Sabha poll, father says decision soon
- The real high and low: Drunk cop creates ruckus in court, held