'Gang-rape' victim sets herself on fire in Ranchi
- Essar Leaks: SC issues notices to Essar Group and Centre on PIL seeking court-monitored probe
- Karnataka CM announces CBI probe into death of IAS officer DK Ravi
- Hashimpura massacre: 10 freed still in UP Police
- Jaitley, Rajan paper over the cracks, minister says in regular, frank talks
- Lee Kuan Yew, founder of modern Singapore, passes away at 91
A college girl today committed suicide by setting herself on fire after she was allegedly raped by four youths near Getalsud dam on the outskirts of Ranchi.
The victim told the police before she succumbed to her burn injuries in a hospital that her 'lover' Vritranjan Prasad and three of his friends took her near the dam on March 17, raped her one by one and branded her as a "prostitute" before dumping her there alone, Superintendent of Police (Rural) A V Minz said quoting her statement.
The girl, who was a student in a college in Ranchi, identified the three friends as Utam Mahto, Gouri Shankar Munda and J Kujur, the SP said.
She hailed from a village in Ranchi district and was brought to the Rajendra Institute of Medical Sciences in Ranchi city by her family members in extremely critical condition.
The statement further said that in the garb of being in love with her, the youth allegedly exploited her, and the inhuman act by the four came when she asked Prasad to marry her.
She also phoned Prasad after the incident for the marriage, but the latter disconnected the phone abruptly after repeating the same words "no" and "prostitute".
Her family members filed an FIR against the four, the police officer said. No arrest has been made so far.