'Gang-rape' victim sets herself on fire in Ranchi
- Dalit student suicide: Protests erupt in Hyd, Cong demands sacking of Dattatreya, Irani
- Behind Dalit student suicide: how his campus showed him the door
- SC restrains Centre from disinvesting further shares in Hindustan Zinc in favour of Vedanta
- Ganga projects: Uma Bharti objects but Prakash Javadekar rejects
- Grieving Mehbooba Mufti introduces brother to party, politics
A college girl today committed suicide by setting herself on fire after she was allegedly raped by four youths near Getalsud dam on the outskirts of Ranchi.
The victim told the police before she succumbed to her burn injuries in a hospital that her 'lover' Vritranjan Prasad and three of his friends took her near the dam on March 17, raped her one by one and branded her as a "prostitute" before dumping her there alone, Superintendent of Police (Rural) A V Minz said quoting her statement.
The girl, who was a student in a college in Ranchi, identified the three friends as Utam Mahto, Gouri Shankar Munda and J Kujur, the SP said.
She hailed from a village in Ranchi district and was brought to the Rajendra Institute of Medical Sciences in Ranchi city by her family members in extremely critical condition.
The statement further said that in the garb of being in love with her, the youth allegedly exploited her, and the inhuman act by the four came when she asked Prasad to marry her.
She also phoned Prasad after the incident for the marriage, but the latter disconnected the phone abruptly after repeating the same words "no" and "prostitute".
- It is not incidental that Rohith Chakravarthi Vemula and his dissent were crushed
- Aroon Tikekar carried the rationalist legacy of 19th century Maharashtra
- Sushma Swaraj’s Israel visit: Owning a friendship
- Cuddalore rape victim story shows how little has changed
- Risk taking, experimentation and teamwork must also infect government machinery
- New mobile towers, better roads are making a difference in Bastar