Gangraped girl 'critical', but desire to live undeterred, says 'Maa main jeena chahti hoon'

The 23-year-old paramedical student, who was gangraped and tortured in a moving bus on Sunday night, today underwent fifth surgery and "continues to be critical but stable", doctors attending on her said.

But even as the Delhi's gang rape victim's condition deteriorated, she has shown immense determination to fight the battle for life.

According to television reports, in a written communication to her mother, the girl has said: "Maa main jeena chahti hoon" (Mother, I want to live).

Her condition, which had improved yesterday morning after she was operated upon on Sunday night, deteriorated yesterday evening. Doctors are battling to keep infections at bay as the injuries are extensive. Her platelet count had dropped, with blood pressure being unstable.

On Wednesday she again had to undergo surgery as gangrene became a threat and more of her intestines were removed. However, her courage and spirit, according to doctors is still strong and she is fighting her injuries as much as she fought against her assailants.

Specialists from AIIMS trauma centre have been called in before doctors decide whether the girl needs to be operated upon further. They hope to curb further spread of infection.

Doctors at the Safdarjung hospital treatment performed an elective abdominal surgery –gastronomy and duodenustromy -- and surgeons had to remove her gangrenous small intestine. They said she has lost most of here intestine.

"This was a planned surgery and at this juncture she is responding to treatment fairly well, she is stable but she continues to be critical," Dr B D Athani, Medical Superintendent of the hospital, said.

The girl, who remains on ventilatory support, was taken to operation theatre at 10 AM and was shifted to ICU at around 1 PM after surgery. Doctors said she had withstood the operation fairly well.

"She is fairly stable at this juncture and we have to wait and watch. We would observe for the stability for next few hours," she said.

"Before going for surgery, she was quite alert and spoke to her mother and brother as at that time there was no tube so she utilised that opportunity but her father didn't go inside," doctors said.

Athani said that yesterday also her level of alertness was good but today since she is recovering from anaesthesia, she is "not communicating nor are we are trying to communicate".

"Her abdomen has been cleaned and it has been closed today. Because most of the intestine, almost all portion, I would say, because of the initial loss and subsequent gangrene is non-existent," he said.

Doctors said that duodenum, which is the first part of the intestine, has been brought out of the stomach and a tube has been put into drain out whatever secretions are there.

She is being fed intravenously. She is getting feeding as well as antibiotics and all her essential drugs through intravenous route.

"With this, all that was to be done on emergency basis and all that could be done subsequently on elective basis has been done by our team of doctors who have been attending her since the time of admission," Athani said.

Doctors said they will wait and watch and hope that she does not develop further complications.

"Now it is a question of maintaining her in the ICU by providing her ventilatory support, which she already has and we hope she would become stable and we hope that she doesn't develop any complications which are anticipated in the injuries of this nature," he said.

Athani said that now no surgical intervention is to be done or are planned to be done in near future or in next one or two days or in one week.

"We have to wait and watch that the patient is stable within next few days. When we say she is stable it means her blood pressure, pulse rate, urinary output and respirations are within the acceptable range of normalcy," he said.

Asked about how she is faring, the doctor said "she is fighting with a good spirit. You know that even when she was brought to the hospital after around three hours delay she was alert, her level of consciousness was good. She and her friend had even given statement to the police."

The next 24 hours are critical, if she pulls through, her chances of survival will improve.

Delhi gangrape victim's braveheart friend recalls harrowing tale

The eyewitness and male friend of the 23-year-old paramedical student, who was gangraped in a moving bus here on Sunday night, today recorded his statement before a Delhi court.

The 28-year-old software engineer, who along with the girl was allegedly brutally assaulted by the six offenders with an iron rod and was later thrown out of the moving bus, appeared before Metropolitan Magistrate Prashant Sharma to give his eyewitness account of the incident.

The statement of the youth, who is also the complainant in the case, was recorded by the magistrate in his chamber and went on for over three hours. The documents and the file containing his statement was later kept in a sealed envelope.

The victim's friend appeared before the court on its summons to him on Delhi Police's plea for its direction for recording of his statement under section 164 (recording of confession and statement) of the CrPC, as he was the eyewitness and also the victim of the alleged incident.

The statement recorded by a magistrate under section 164 of CrPC bind the accused/witness against taking any u-turn by him during trial and any such act makes him liable to be prosecuted on charges of perjury.

Both the victim and her friend, who had boarded the chartered bus with tinted-glass windows at Munirka in South Delhi around 9.45 PM on Sunday night, were assaulted with an iron rod by the men as the two objected to their misbehaviour with them, the police had said.

The assailants later had dumped them on road side near Mahipalpur flyover near Palam in South West Delhi after gangraping the girl and beating up her male friend, the police had said.

So far the police has arrested four accused, out of which three are in police custody till December 23 and the fourth one has been remanded in 14-days' judicial custody to Tihar jail for Test Identification Parade.

The police has also claimed to have arrested the fifth accused from Bihar while the sixth one is still on run.

Please read our terms of use before posting comments
TERMS OF USE: The views expressed in comments published on are those of the comment writer's alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of The Indian Express Group or its staff. Comments are automatically posted live; however, reserves the right to take it down at any time. We also reserve the right not to publish comments that are abusive, obscene, inflammatory, derogatory or defamatory.