Gangraped young woman set on fire in West Bengal
- Essar Leaks: SC issues notices to Essar Group and Centre on PIL seeking court-monitored probe
- Karnataka CM announces CBI probe into death of IAS officer DK Ravi
- Hashimpura massacre: 10 freed still in UP Police
- Jaitley, Rajan paper over the cracks, minister says in regular, frank talks
- Lee Kuan Yew, founder of modern Singapore, passes away at 91
A 24-year old woman was set on fire today after being allegedly abducted and gangraped by a neighbour and his friends at a village near here, police sources said.
According to an FIR by the victim's father, Sunil Das, of Ramajotha village lodged with the Bagdogra police he found his daughter on fire at the house of his neighbour Santosh Barui after being informed by other villagers.
The woman was admitted to the North Bengal Medical College Hospital with severe burns, the sources said.
The father alleged that his daughter was kidnapped by Barui on December 14 and gangraped by him and his friends after drugging her.
When the woman regained her senses and tried to escape, Barui allegedly poured kerosene and set her alight, the FIR said.
The victim's father had earlier lodged an FIR on December 14 stating that his daughter was missing. The sources said that the case was being investigated.