Gangs and 'Bhais' to play their role in Gujarat polls
- Naxal threat has to be quashed with a firm hand, says Pranab, as Maoists kill 16 in Chhattisgarh ambush
- Bangalore fund-raiser: Dine with Kejriwal for Rs 20,000
- Malaysia asks India to join search for missing plane
- Khobragadeâs help, husband cite âdifferencesâ, file for divorce
- President not for executing Bhullar, MHA disagrees
"Kandhal is carrying forward the legacy of helping people not only of his caste but everyone here, a legacy which his late father Sarman Munja had started and then mother had taken it forwarded," said Kandhal's maternal uncle.
Kandhal's three brothers Bhoja, Sharman and Kana are handling his election campaign.
Kutiyana seat has been considered a bastion for the Jadeja family. Santokhben was first elected to Taluka Panchayat from this seat and later won Assembly elections with 85.92 per cent votes out of total votes cast in 1995.
On this Assembly seat, Kandhal is pitted against Karsanbhai Dulabhai Odedara whose brother and another 'gangster' Bhima Dula Odedara is now in jail as an accused in murder of Congress worker Mulu Modhwadia, a close aide of PCC president Arjun Modhwadia.
Modhwadia is also fighting to retain his Porbandar seat. Bhima Dula's cousin and former BJP minister Babu Bokhiria is BJP candidate against Modhwadia. Bokhiria, who was defeated against Modhwadia in 2007, is also a suspect in Mulu Modhwadia's murder.
If Kandhal, who is facing 18 cases of murder, attempted murder and illegal possession of firearms, is playing Robinhood, Odedaras are also allegedly involved in smuggling, extortions and murder and are considered rival of the Jadejas.
Apart from 'Bhais' and 'gangs', there is another Assembly constituency of Gondal in Rajkot district where election has been fought and won only on muscle power and has a long history of violence.
For Gondal seat, BJP has renominated Jairajsinh Jadeja, a murder accused. In 2007, Jadeja had lost the elections by a narrow margin of 414 votes against his NCP rival Chandu Vaghasia who was recently arrested in a graft case.
In this constituency, Gujarat Parivartan Party (GPP), a political outfit formed by breakaway BJP dissents under the leadership of former chief minister Keshubhai Patel, has fielded its second-in-command and former BJP minister of state for home Gordhan Zadafia.
- Rs 1.28 lakh looted at gunpoint
- Venkaiah Naidu sure of BJP crossing ‘magic figure’ in south India
- AAP candidates truly ‘aam aadmi’: Prithvi Reddy
- Bangalore fund-raiser: Dine with Arvind Kejriwal for Rs 20,000
- AAP sounds Gul Panag about Lok Sabha poll, father says decision soon
- The real high and low: Drunk cop creates ruckus in court, held
- AAP workers stage protest outside Kejriwal’s residence over ticket distribution
- BJP boycotts NDTV over news gaffe | The Indian Express
- Out of the promised 50,000 homes for the poor, not even 50 constructed in Gujarat by BJP: Kejriwal
- Kejriwal Gujarat tour: The unfamiliar politician | The Indian Express