Gangsters in Taloja prison ordered firing: Victim to cops
- Winter session Day 1: Govt talks about misuse of word 'secularism', Sonia raises 'intolerance' debate
- Sheena murder: CBI seeks Interpol help, Peter Mukerjea's custody extended till Nov 30
- PPCC chief Bajwa and Jakhar made to resign as rejig in Punjab Congress imminent
- Constitution Day: The many reasons why the BJP decided to celebrate it
- India-Pakistan series to be played from December 15 in Sri Lanka: Rajiv Shukla
A day after a sub-jailor attached to the central prison at Taloja was injured when unidentified assailants opened fire on him in Navi Mumbai, police officers probing the case said on Monday that the victim has claimed that some gangsters lodged in the prison were behind the attack.
The victim, Bhaskar Kachare, has reportedly claimed that he had an altercation with these gangsters five days ago and that he suspects they had ordered the attack on him. Senior officers said the police were verifying the officer's claims.
The incident took place near the Rapid Action Force (RAF) camp in Taloja at around 6 pm on Sunday. The officer was headed towards Taloja with his friend Anwar Sheikh in a Maruti Swift when the assailants opened fire on the car he was traveling in. Security was subsequently tightened and police check-points set up across the city to nab the accused, who are still on the run.
Navi Mumbai Police Commissioner A K Sharma said Kachare has told the police that he suspected he was targeted after the altercation.
"Satre said he had an argument with some persons lodged inside the jail five days ago. The persons he has named are gangsters. He suspects that a hit was ordered against him as a result of the argument. We are verifying his claims and a probe is on. We will question the persons he has named," said Sharma. "The two assailants fled after the firing. We have got some CCTV footage of them but it is of poor quality," he added.
The police said Kachare underwent an operation at MGM Hospital in Kamothe on Sunday night .
- True patriotism requires you to be able to say I am ashamed of my country in certain respects
- Douglass North emphasised institutions when markets were the focus
- ‘Bovine Divine’ controversy lurched between the horrific and the comic
- PM Modi’s achievements abroad appear to cut little ice back home
- Post 13/11 sloganeering at Antalya and Kuala Lumpur won’t be enough
- Can Parliament be insulated from the vagaries of the political climate?