Gangsters in Taloja prison ordered firing: Victim to cops
- CBI sought part RTI exemption, Govt gave it full
- Screen Awards: Milkha, Ram-Leela and Madras Cafe dominate
- DGCA seeks fresh public objections after clearing AirAsia for take-off
- Delhi: 51-year-old Danish national alleges gangrape, 15 detained for questioning
- I wonder if I will be able to ever reunite with my husband, my kids. I miss them: Devyani
A day after a sub-jailor attached to the central prison at Taloja was injured when unidentified assailants opened fire on him in Navi Mumbai, police officers probing the case said on Monday that the victim has claimed that some gangsters lodged in the prison were behind the attack.
The victim, Bhaskar Kachare, has reportedly claimed that he had an altercation with these gangsters five days ago and that he suspects they had ordered the attack on him. Senior officers said the police were verifying the officer's claims.
The incident took place near the Rapid Action Force (RAF) camp in Taloja at around 6 pm on Sunday. The officer was headed towards Taloja with his friend Anwar Sheikh in a Maruti Swift when the assailants opened fire on the car he was traveling in. Security was subsequently tightened and police check-points set up across the city to nab the accused, who are still on the run.
Navi Mumbai Police Commissioner A K Sharma said Kachare has told the police that he suspected he was targeted after the altercation.
"Satre said he had an argument with some persons lodged inside the jail five days ago. The persons he has named are gangsters. He suspects that a hit was ordered against him as a result of the argument. We are verifying his claims and a probe is on. We will question the persons he has named," said Sharma. "The two assailants fled after the firing. We have got some CCTV footage of them but it is of poor quality," he added.
The police said Kachare underwent an operation at MGM Hospital in Kamothe on Sunday night .
The police have asked Kachare and Sheikh to provide descriptions of the assailants and are preparing sketches of the suspects. Sources said several persons had been been detained for questioning.
- â€˜Someone should remind the CM weâ€™re also aam aadmi. But theyâ€™ve turned us intoÂ demonsâ€™
- Kapil Sibal to contest from Chandni Chowk in 2014, even if Arvind Kejriwal inÂ fray
- AAP names Bharti victims, uploads eight videos targeting Africans in Delhi
- Arvind Kejriwal likely to pass Jan Lokpal Bill in February, says the fight for new independence hasÂ begun