Gas leak outrage: Cutting through the fog
- Proponents of Article 370 should say how it has helped J&K: Rajnath Singh
- 1984 riots: Akalis protest over Capt Amarinder Singh's clean chit to Jagdish Tytler
- Supreme Court issues notice to Goa Police, agrees to hear Tejpal's bail plea in sexual assault case
- SC allows annual cap of 20m tonnes of iron ore mining in Goa
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Pt Channulal Mishra backs Modi but Bismillah's family won't
In the only full discussion in the Lok Sabha on Bhopal, in reply to the minister's statement, members raised questions about the scientific causes of the tragedy, the technological aspects, and the inadequacies in the safety measures and the government's immediate response. Questions were asked on the licensing policy of the government and the manner of disbursal of relief and compensation.
Janata Party's Madhu Dandavate came prepared with a chart and diagram of the system at the Union Carbide plant and Left MP Geeta Mukherjee demanded that the properties of Union Carbide be immediately confiscated.
But the only mention of Anderson's arrest-cum-release drama came in a self-congratulatory speech by Congress MP Eduardo Faleiro.
While the debate on the Anti-Defection Bill on January 30 had taken over seven hours, with 48 speakers — the 48th speaker was Rajiv Gandhi — the discussion on Bhopal lasted for about two and a half hours on January 21; the number of listed speakers was only 10.
- 21-year-old dies in road mishap, one injured
- Ask Badals where is Ludhiana Metro: Bhattal to locals
- Arrests in priest murder case divide Catholic Church
- Short Change: EPFO to allot permanent account number to active subscribers by Oct 15
- India Inc profit set to grow, but margins under pressure
- Mulayam: Will amend Constitution for Muslim quota