Gay marriage causes stir in China
- His hands tied, PM surrendered to Sonia: ex-media adviserâs book
- How can Modi honour women if he canât mention his wife, asks Rahul
- Mewat simmers after poll clash, killing of Muslim youth
- After rare skull surgery at AIIMS, twins from Kerala look like each other
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Rahul Gandhi to file nomination papers from Amethi today
A public announcement by two gay men that they were planning to marry each other has gone viral viral on Chinese media and caused quite a stir in a country that bans homosexual marriage.
The gay couple, identified as "big treasure" and "small treasure," broke the news online yesterday and sought people's blessings.
They also posted photos on their Weibo microblog, showing them hugging, one wearing a white wedding gown, Chinese newspaper Guanzhou Daily reported.
Their announcement soon captured many people's attention and drew different reactions.
The two old men, one of whom is a retired teacher, said they met and fell in love in Beijing. The other is a bottled water deliveryman from a rural area.
Despite their differences in education and occupation, they are determined to live together, the report carried by China-org.cn said.
On Weibo, some Chinese Twitter users said they could not understand their relationship and some questioned their motives. Some even doubted their high-profile marriage announcement but most respected their decision.
The two men, who said it is true love that binds them, have already encountered problems with their families and friends who rejected their relationship.
One man's child is no longer speaking to him, according to the paper. The gay couple plans to hold a wedding in a few days.
Though unable to get a marriage certificate from the government, they hoped well-wishers would come to witness and bless their union, the paper said. China still bans homosexual marriage.
- Under attack over rape remark, SP chief Mulayam Yadav blames media
- JD(S) releases manifesto, vows to protect interests of state
- Ambareesh returns, says will sort ‘minor differences’
- Sagar Ghosh killing: Breather for DGP as HC stays single bench order
- Face of Gujarat riots is face of BJP: Mamata
- Cong seeks action against Advani on ‘wrong’ info in affidavit