GCC Indian Rich List: Micky Jagtiani tops billionaires rich list in Gulf
- Jigisha Ghosh murder case: Two convicts get death sentence, life imprisonment for one
- Ban pellet guns in Kashmir, Omar Abdullah-led delegation asks PM Modi
- PM Modi, Afghan President Ghani jointly inaugurate renovated Stor Palace
- AAP doesn't have money to fight election: Kejriwal
- Kicking off UP poll campaign, Mayawati slams BJP-RSS, SP, is soft on Congress
According to the first-ever GCC Indian Rich List published by financial weekly magazine 'Arabian Business', Micky Jagtiani, Landmark Group founder – who once worked as a London cab driver – topped the list with an estimated wealth of USD 4.5 billion.
The Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) countries have 10 Indian billionaires, according to a new survey.
The top 50 between them are worth USD 40.2 billion, with their average wealth at USD 1.57 billion.
Jagtiani was ahead of food magnate Feroz Allana at USD 4.3 billion, with legendary Dubai-based investor Ragu Kataria placed third on USD 2.5 billion.
The top five included EMKE Group's Yussuf Ali on USD 2.2 billion and BR Shetty on USD 1.9 billion. The highest ranked woman on the list was Jumbo Electronics boss Vidya Chhabria occupied the eighth place with a wealth of USD 1.4 billion.
"The contribution and success of the Indian community in this region is nothing short of remarkable, and our list fully reflects that. What is fascinating is many people on the list - such as Micky Jagtiani and Yussuf Ali - are self made, starting with absolutely nothing. Their stories are an inspiration to all of us," Arabian Business Editor Ed Attwood said.
- Cow protection, paradoxically, poses a threat to the BJP’s project of Hindu unity
- The government needs to distinguish between crooked NGOs and genuine ones
- India’s quest for Olympic medals is hampered by history and geography
- The Modi government is meeting its development targets before time
- Raja Mandala: The Great Wall of China
- Farm incomes may not revive despite good monsoon