GCW gets new name of GCG, students celebrate
- Babri Masjid demolition case: SC issues notices to Advani, other BJP leaders over conspiracy charges
- Seven years ago, everyone saw Delhi’s air take a deadly U-turn but no one did a thing
- LIVE: 16 dead as floods ravage parts of Jammu and Kashmir
- Take this, Congress: NDA plans a memorial for Narasimha Rao
- Punjab panel books Muslims, Christians with ‘fake’ SC papers
The recent name change of Government College for Women to Government College for Girls was celebrated on the college campus on Tuesday.
During his last visit to the college three months back, Education Minister Sikander Singh Maluka had made an announcement in this regard.
Welcoming the change, Rekha Jindal, a student, said, "Now it actually feels good when you say the name because there is a lot of difference between a woman and a girl. When someone calls you a woman, you get that feeling of maturity whereas a student always wants to be referred to as a girl, not as a woman."
Shikha Kumari, another student, said, "I am happy that at last some minister actually implemented this change. It was being talked about for more than 20 years but finally it has happened now."
To mark the celebrations, a cultural programme was organised by students.