Genelia to host a show based on slum kids
- Siachen avalanche: Lance Naik Hanamanthappa passes away three days after miraculous rescue
- Dr RK Pachauri goes on leave as TERI Chancellor, won't attend March 7 convocation
- Ishrat Jahan's mother on Headley deposition: Ploy by those guilty to salvage their names
- Write-offs a scam, small loans rarely in it, says former RBI Deputy Governor
- David Headley received money from ISI, LeT and Dr Rana
What's the show The Big Switch all about?
Basically we have 10 rich brats from around the country. They will each be paired with a youngster from the slums, referred to as a 'slum buddy'. The rich brats will live in the slums with their buddy. At the same time, they will each also be trying their best to fulfil their slum buddies' dreams.
Your film career is going so well, why television all of a sudden?
Zarina Mehta and Ronnie Screwvala of UTV are good friends of mine and they came to me with the concept. When I heard what they had in mind I couldn't refuse it because the concept is amazing. It's nothing like a reality show. There's no prize money; it's about fulfilling a dream. It's a show with a heart.
Won't this come in the way of your film career?
Not at all. I'm going to be in the slum for 12 hours a day for 13 days. The time is not going to clash with any of my film shooting.
So what's your role on the show?
On paper, I'm hosting the show. But I want to be much more than just a host. I'm going to be a friend and guide to all the youngsters on the show. If they want to talk about something or need advice, I'll be there for them.
Would you be able to survive as one of the participants?
I really don't know what I'd do if I was offered to be a participant. These youngsters have a lot of courage and I'm not sure if I would be able to do it. But I would certainly think about it and might consider it.
So are you very high maintenance? Would you be able to survive without any luxuries?