German bakery blast: We have no objection in giving CCTV footage to NIA, says ATS chief
- Obama rules out putting US troops on ground to fight Islamic State
- Heavy rainfall floods Tamil Nadu, rail, road services badly hit; 71 killed so far
- Azam Khan's remarks on Paris attacks spark row, BJP demands action
- French officials identify Belgian national as suspected mastermind
- Awards recognition of talent, they should be cherished: Prez
The Maharashtra Anti Terrorism Squad (ATS) has said that it has no objection in giving c of the German Bakery blast to the National Investigation Agency (NIA).
The NIA had filed an application in the Bombay High Court seeking a direction to the state ATS to provide a copy of the CCTV footage from German Bakery. The court observed that the central agency had not given any details supporting its application seeking the CCTV footage.
Today, the division bench of Justices V K Tahilramani and Mridula Bhatkar asked the NIA to file an additional affidavit citing reasons on why it needs this CCTV footage by August 5 when the court will begin hearing the confirmation proceedings of the death sentence on Mirza Himayat Inayat Baig and his appeal against conviction.
A CCTV footage with the ATS, which was obtained from inside the German Bakery after the bomb blast on February 13, 2010, has captured the image of a man believed to be Yasin Bhatkal, a top Indian Mujahideen operative.
ATS is yet to make its submissions in the case. Rakesh Maria, state ATS chief told The Indian Express, "We have no objection in giving the CCTV footage to the NIA. As the case is subjudice, there is a legal procedure involved and has to be followed."
The NIA that took over the investigation in bomb blast case from the ATS in April 2011, had first sought a similar direction from the trial court that turned down its application. NIA has now moved high court.
In April this year, a Pune court had awarded death sentence to alleged LeT operative Baig (33) of Beed, the only person arrested for the German Bakery blast in which 17 persons were killed and 56 others were injured. According to ATS, Baig and Yasin Bhatkal came to Pune from Udgir via Latur with the bomb. Yasin allegedly planted the bomb in a haversack at the bakery around 5 pm and triggered it with the help of a mobile triggering device at 6.50 pm, on February 13 .
- Responses to Mumbai, Paris attacks were strikingly different. But India has learnt since
- Tipu Sultan: Revisionist overlook his bigotry, contemporaries saw nothing else
- True successors of Gandhi-Nehru
- Raja-Mandala: The final burial of non-alignment
- Modi in Britain: Beyond a reiteration of good intentions, little was achieved
- The government’s version of the uniform civil code must be debated publicly