Ghaziabad rape: Constable suspended for dereliction of duty
- 5th phase of elections: Moderate to high turnout on biggest voting day, halfway mark crossed
- Congress releases CD of Uma Bharti calling Narendra Modi 'Vinash Purush'
- April 17 poll roundup: Rajnath says only Modi will be PM; Jaswant Singh writes to EC against Raje
- Admiral Dhowan appointed as new Navy chief
- IPL 7 Live Cricket Score, DD vs RCB: Yuvraj, Kohli power RCB to thumping win
A constable has been suspended for alleged dereliction of duty in the rape and murder case of a 6-year-old girl in Subhash Nagar area of the district. The constable, Jamuna Prasad, who was posted at Sihani Chungi,was suspended for allegedly not taking action when the victim's father had approached him on Wednesday evening after his daughter went missing, Superintendent of Police (city), Shiv Shankar Yadav, said.
The constable allegedly did not inform his seniors about the father's complaint.
The girl was found dead next morning in a field along the Nandgram-Sihani Road opposite Mariam Nagar. Her postmortem report confirmed that she was raped before being killed.
To hide her identity, the assailants had disfigured her face.
Protests had erupted in the area after the body of the girl was found. Police had to lathicharge and fire teargas shells and rubber bullets to disperse protesters, due to which several people, including policemen, were injured.
Meanwhile, District Magistrate Aparna Upadhyaya today handed over a cheque for Rs 3 lakh as compensation to the victim's family.