Ghaziabad rape: Constable suspended for dereliction of duty
- Lok Sabha polls: Ram Vilas Paswan returns to NDA as BJP-LJP agree on seat-sharing
- UP Police raids Sahara chief Subrata Roy's residence, fails to arrest him
- BJP, AAP and NCP release candidates list for general elections
- TRS MP Vijayashanthi joins Congress day after party rules out merger
- Rahul Gandhi slams Salman Khurshid over 'impotent' remark against Narendra Modi
A constable has been suspended for alleged dereliction of duty in the rape and murder case of a 6-year-old girl in Subhash Nagar area of the district. The constable, Jamuna Prasad, who was posted at Sihani Chungi,was suspended for allegedly not taking action when the victim's father had approached him on Wednesday evening after his daughter went missing, Superintendent of Police (city), Shiv Shankar Yadav, said.
The constable allegedly did not inform his seniors about the father's complaint.
The girl was found dead next morning in a field along the Nandgram-Sihani Road opposite Mariam Nagar. Her postmortem report confirmed that she was raped before being killed.
To hide her identity, the assailants had disfigured her face.
Protests had erupted in the area after the body of the girl was found. Police had to lathicharge and fire teargas shells and rubber bullets to disperse protesters, due to which several people, including policemen, were injured.
Meanwhile, District Magistrate Aparna Upadhyaya today handed over a cheque for Rs 3 lakh as compensation to the victim's family.
- Fancy numbers: RTO in PCMC earns Rs 8 crore
- Alarm in Ukraine as Putin orders surprise army drills on border
- Arrests made but two sensational murders still unsolved
- Infosys ex-CFO not to contest polls for AAP
- Monsoon, not Manmohan, led to agri growth: Yashwant
- Now, BJP workers to donate blood equal to Modi’s weight