Gherao by students: Governor says no to re-tests
- No compromise with live-ins or gay rights, moral values supreme: RSS
- In Mumbai, new warship system malfunctions, Navy officer killed
- SC calls Sahara proposal an âinsultâ, Subrata Roy to stay in jail till March 11
- I'm not a terrorist, Modi should have met me: Arvind Kejriwal
- Express 5: Lalu's daughter at Ram Kripal's home and another Navy officer killed
Governor MK Narayanan who met the chairman of West Bengal Higher Education Council, Muktinath Chatterjee, on Wednesday told him that the council should not allow holding of re-examination in schools where the failed students have gheraoed the teachers demanding pass marks.
Speaking to the mediapersons after the meeting at Raj Bhavan, Chatterjee said he will discuss the issue of not holding the pre-Board tests again in schools with Education Minister —-.
After girl students of a school near Kolkata — Rishi Aurbindo Balika Vidyalaya — locked up the principal of the school demanding pass marks in the pre-Board examination, the council had intervened and asked the school to hold the examination for the failed students again. The decision had triggered stinging criticisms against the school and the government for the "unprecedented" action. The incident also led to a domino effect with incidents of gherao being reported from different schools across the state.
Meanwhile, the Governor also met chairman of School Service Commission in connection with the goof-up during a teacher recruitment examination in September that led to protests in several exam centres. The SSC had to order re-examination at various centres and around 2,000 students had to take the re-test.
SSC chairman Chittaranjan Mondal said he discussed various issues with the Governor, including the recruitment examination. "The Governor wanted to know what steps are being taken so that such fiasco are not repeated in the future," he said.
- Chai pe Charcha gets police protection, EC officials to check on poll norm violation
- Complaint against Kejriwal: Kutch cops gather evidence
- AAP chief to hold first public meeting in Gujarat today
- Nominations for North Bangalore primary begin
- ‘Our campaigning in the state will be out of the box’
- ‘Aai Retire Hotey’ to take the stage for 100th time today