Ghuman village common land: DC marks inquiry by SDM
- PDP, BJP seal alliance to form government in Jammu & Kashmir
- RK Pachauri, accused of sexual harassment, quits UN climate change panel
- Centre's land bill is anti-farmer, says Kejriwal at Anna protest rally
- SpiceJet launches low-fare offer for Holi; one lakh seats on the block
- BJP defends Bhagwat, claims Mother Teresa admitted she was not a social worker
A day after Ludhiana Newsline carried a report on the controversy surrounding the construction of shops on common land at Ghuman village in Riakot, Deputy Commissioner Rahul Tewari on Monday marked an inquiry in the case and asked Jagraon SDM Gurmeet Singh to submit a report.
"Due action will be taken after the SDM submits his report," the DC said.
As already mentioned, the villagers have objected to the construction of five shops on the village common land along the Ludhiana-Bathinda state highway where, as per rules, constructions cannot come up. The villagers alleged Sarpanch Bhupinder Singh did not follow the rules.
However, the Sarpanch said he had asked those constructing shops on this land to pay the panchayat a rent of Rs 850 per month, and no other charges had been asked from them.
Though the Block Development Officer had received a complaint, nothing much was being done in this regard.