Girl ‘raped’ by fiancé, accused arrested
- J&K crisis: Governor asks PDP, BJP to clarify stand on govt formation
- Inexcusable: Delhi Police brutally assault student protesters outside RSS HQs
- Andhra quota stir takes violent turn, train set on fire
- MS Dhoni's 'great speech' to team after whitewash: ‘Don’t slip from here’
- Is Gujarat not part of India? SC questions failure in implementing MNREGA, Food Act
A day after a doctor was arrested for allegedly raping his fiancee, a local court on Sunday remanded him in two-day police custody.
A 21-year-old girl had alleged that her fiancé who is a doctor raped her several times on the pretext of getting married.
In her complaint filed at Sadar police station, the girl, who hails from Buddha Singh Wala Thava village of Baghapura in Moga, said, "I was engaged to this doctor on May 22 this year. I passed my BSc and he encouraged me to go for higher studies. He called me to Ludhiana for filling some forms of MSc on October 10 and then took me to a hotel near Daad village. He established physical relations without my will on the pretext of marriage in some days and raped me several times since then."
The victim alleged he threatened her with dire consequences, but "she ignored the threats and decided to register a complaint with the police".
The accused has been identified as Dr Kanwar Samrat from Samana in Patiala.
- The problem in Arunachal is as much about politics as about institutional norms
- The public university is becoming insecure, narrow-minded and conservative
- Building on the Jan Dhan framework, India should move from price to income support
- Haryana panchayat poll outcome does not reflect the state’s social composition
- India’s education system is terribly out of step with the times
- China is not India’s sibling, nor is China India’s nemesis