Girl ‘raped’ by fiancé, accused arrested
- FIR against Giriraj Singh for Modi-Pak remark, BJP pulls him up
- Modi attacks Gandhis again, wonders how Rahul can lead country when he can't handle Amethi
- Malaysian Airline flight to Bangalore makes air turnback
- Vote for BSP to keep fascist forces, dynasty rule at bay: Mayawati to Muslims
- Emissary row: Sanjay Saraf dismisses reports of carrying any message from BJP
A day after a doctor was arrested for allegedly raping his fiancee, a local court on Sunday remanded him in two-day police custody.
A 21-year-old girl had alleged that her fiancé who is a doctor raped her several times on the pretext of getting married.
In her complaint filed at Sadar police station, the girl, who hails from Buddha Singh Wala Thava village of Baghapura in Moga, said, "I was engaged to this doctor on May 22 this year. I passed my BSc and he encouraged me to go for higher studies. He called me to Ludhiana for filling some forms of MSc on October 10 and then took me to a hotel near Daad village. He established physical relations without my will on the pretext of marriage in some days and raped me several times since then."
The victim alleged he threatened her with dire consequences, but "she ignored the threats and decided to register a complaint with the police".
The accused has been identified as Dr Kanwar Samrat from Samana in Patiala.
The police have registered a case of rape, cheating and threatening. "We arrested the doctor on Saturday," said Sub-Inspector Harinder Singh, Sadar police station.