Girl commits suicide after obscene MMS gets circulated
- Positions hardening, Congress readies to walk alone in both Andhra and Bihar
- After Fali, former SC judge K T Thomas questions Lokpal selection
- Flanked by Paswans, Modi sells âN(Development)Aâ
- Supreme Court directs Centre, states to stop discrimination against HIV+ kids
- Judge among 11 dead in Pakistan court in alleged suicide attack
An 18-year-old girl committed suicide in Siliguri on Wednesday night, as her obscene pictures were circulated through MMS by a third-year student, with whom she was involved. Both are students of Siliguri Government Polythechnic College. No suicide note has been recovered.
The deceased, a second-year student, hanged herself from the ceiling of her room in her residence. The police have initiated a criminal case against the Anindya Garai, who is absconding. A resident of Sonamukhi in Bankura district, Anindya used to stay at a mess, said D P Singh, SP, Darjeeling. The girl often met Anindya at the mess, where he had been staying for the last few months. "Anindya took some obscene pictures of the girl. It is not clear whether he took the picture with her consent," said Singh. He circulated her picture through MMS and she came to know about it in September. Following this, the girl lodged a complaint with the Siliguri police station. Her family, however, alleged that the police did not take any action. The police suspect that Anindya was blackmailing the girl. After she committed suicide, her family lodged a fresh complaint with the police.
- CBI to look into DLF high-rise plan near Rashtrapati Bhavan
- Brothers shot dead: 19-yr-old man arrested
- Jeweller shot at in Mukherjee Nagar
- Facing staff crunch, drug control dept unable to up quality checks
- Civic agency plans to promote cycling in capital
- CISF plans to step up inspections to keep an eye on personnel at Metro stations