Girl killed for refusing marriage proposal
- Zero-tolerance towards communal violence, must act: Centre to states
- Varanasi: Violence breaks out during protest march, vehicles set ablaze
- Germany our natural partner, says Modi after meeting Merkel; 18 MoUs inked to boost trade
- Why the BJP finds itself in a spot before Gujarat local body polls
- Supreme Court suspends beef ban in Jammu & Kashmir for two months
A Class XII girl was reportedly stabbed to death after she turned down a marriage proposal.
The incident took place in Purushottampur in Bankura. The girl, 18-year-old Samapti Mondal, was reportedly regularly disturbed by two youths, Babu Ghosh and Partha Mondal alias Payel.
The duo also pelted stones at her when she was returning home, police said. Although it didn't hurt her, it led to trouble between them and her family members.
This morning, as she was going for her tuition, the two stopped her and Partha proposed to her. "She refused, saying she was not ready for marriage and was concentrating on studies. The boys asked her to come to a nearby temple and take oath that she would marry Partha whenever she decides it was time. When she refused that too, Partha stabbed her. She received wounds on her neck and arm," said an official of Beliator police station, where a complaint was later filed. The boys left her wounded. Her family was informed and they rushed her to hospital, where she died.
Police arrested Partha Mondal but Babu Ghosh is absconding.