Girl set on fire for resisting eve-teasing in Hathras
- Submarine mishaps: Navy had raised alarm with PMO, Defence Ministry
- Sahara chief Subrata Roy sent to police custody till March 4
- Petrol price hiked by 60 paise per litre, diesel by 50 paise
- Chhattisgarh: Six policemen killed in Naxal ambush
- IPL betting probe: Senior Tamil Nadu cop suspended for violation of 'conduct rules'
With 90% burns, she battles for her life
A spurned man allegedly set a 17-year-old girl on fire at her house under Sasnigate police station area of Hathras district on Monday night. The girl, who suffered about 90 per cent burns, is battling for life at Aligarh's medical college.
The girl's father, Ashok Kumar Sharma, who runs a tea stall, also suffered burns on his hands and face while trying to save her.
The police registered a case of attempt to murder on Tuesday evening. The accused is yet to be arrested.
Sharma alleged that Arjun had been harassing his daughter for the last few months. He used to pass lewd remarks and make advances. Sharma said that he had lodged a complaint with the police a month ago, but the police forced him to settle a compromise with Arjun. However, Arjun kept harassing his daughter.
On Monday, Sharma was busy at his tea stall and his daughter was at home along with her two younger brothers and a sister. Around 9 pm, a drunk Arjun entered the house and tried to molest her, and when she objected, he poured kerosene on her and set her ablaze.
The girl's siblings informed the father who rushed to the house and tried to rescue his daughter by throwing water on her. Local residents rushed her to the district hospital from where she was referred to the medical college at Aligarh.
The additional city magistrate, Aligarh, has recorded the girl's statement.
Hathras SP Happy Guptan said that the police were trying to arrest the accused.
Youth rapes girl, FIR filed
Siddharth Nagar: A girl was allegedly raped by a youth in Etwah area of the district, police said on Tuesday.
The girl was allegedly raped by Jarar on Monday night when she had gone out for some work, police said.
- Love and thereabouts
- Youth Akali Dal leaders open fire in front of Akali leader’s home, 3 hurt
- Raarewala market: Shopkeepers threaten LS election boycott; Ayali, mayor swing into action
- Techie murder: 2 months on, cops land in UP on wild goose chase, lens on taxi, auto drivers
- Deoband cleric declares support for Narendra Modi
- Row in British parliament complex over Narendra Modi’s past