Girl set on fire for resisting eve-teasing in Hathras
- Congress Vadodara candidate Madhusudan Mistry arrested for vandalising Modi posters
- Modi wants EC to take action against Sonia, says Cong chief resorting to 'rabid communalism'
- Shakti Mills gangrape convicts repeat offenders, says court; may face death sentence
- Sahara must pay Rs 10,000 cr to show its 'bonafide' and not for Subrata Roy's release: SC
- Sri Lanka vs West Indies Live Cricket Score: Sri Lanka lose three in a hurry
With 90% burns, she battles for her life
A spurned man allegedly set a 17-year-old girl on fire at her house under Sasnigate police station area of Hathras district on Monday night. The girl, who suffered about 90 per cent burns, is battling for life at Aligarh's medical college.
The girl's father, Ashok Kumar Sharma, who runs a tea stall, also suffered burns on his hands and face while trying to save her.
The police registered a case of attempt to murder on Tuesday evening. The accused is yet to be arrested.
Sharma alleged that Arjun had been harassing his daughter for the last few months. He used to pass lewd remarks and make advances. Sharma said that he had lodged a complaint with the police a month ago, but the police forced him to settle a compromise with Arjun. However, Arjun kept harassing his daughter.
On Monday, Sharma was busy at his tea stall and his daughter was at home along with her two younger brothers and a sister. Around 9 pm, a drunk Arjun entered the house and tried to molest her, and when she objected, he poured kerosene on her and set her ablaze.
The girl's siblings informed the father who rushed to the house and tried to rescue his daughter by throwing water on her. Local residents rushed her to the district hospital from where she was referred to the medical college at Aligarh.
The additional city magistrate, Aligarh, has recorded the girl's statement.
Hathras SP Happy Guptan said that the police were trying to arrest the accused.
Youth rapes girl, FIR filed
Siddharth Nagar: A girl was allegedly raped by a youth in Etwah area of the district, police said on Tuesday.
The girl was allegedly raped by Jarar on Monday night when she had gone out for some work, police said.
- Real science is in small laboratories: Prof Rao
- Unguarded and unkempt, vacant govt houses cry for attention
- Won’t become a politician, will carry forward husband legacy: Savita Bhatti
- Congress screening panel okays Bansal’s name for Lok Sabha ticket
- Gujarat minister Saurabh Patel may reply to EC notice: ‘I’m related to Ambanis’
- SC exonerates BJP leader Bokhiria in businessman murder case