Girl tortured by employer, forced to feed, clean 20 dogs' faeces
- Ghulam Ali's concert in Mumbai cancelled after Shiv Sena's threat
- PM Modi a sensitive person, don't judge him on social media posts: BJP on Dadri lynching
- Why President Mukherjee hit the right notes on core values of 'diversity', 'plurality' and 'tolerance'
- Barack Obama apologises for air strike on Kunduz hospital: White House
- Commercial vehicles entering Delhi to pay environmental tax: NGT
Police today rescued a minor girl allegedly tortured by her employer in Odisha's Bhadrak district.
"Police has rescued a minor girl from one Babaji Charana Padhi's house in Jagannathpur area in the town. Parida is detained for interrogation on the basis of two FIRs lodged against him", inspector-in-charge of town police station Suresh Patra said.
The complaints alleged in FIRs that Padhi had unleashed physical and mental torture on Manisa Jojo (13), daughter of Philip Jojo of Lowram in Sundergarha district, who was working as a maid in his house for over last two years.
Alleging that the girl was being tortured by the septuagenarian Padhi, who was staying alone in his house and doing dog business, SK Sofia, a woman activist, had sought the help of police to rescue her.
Besides, local youth activists of Siridi Sai Youth Association (SSYA) had lodged an FIR against Padhi on same charges. "We are eyewitness of her torment during our several visits to to Padhi's house," said Pradip Kumar Sahu of SSYA.
Padhi was forcing the girl to clean the utensils of 20 dogs and their defecation. She was forced to sleep in the verandah without any bed and the employer used to mercilessly beat her up, alleged Pradip.
According to Sofia, Manisa had narrated the physical and mental trauma she went through in Padhi's house where she was not even given treatment after she suffered from dog-bite.