Girl's brain damaged, KFC to pay A$8 mn
- HSBC Indian list just doubled to 1195 names. Balance: Rs 25420 cr
- Manjhi expelled, Nitish stakes claim to form govt in Bihar
- Hanging of Afzal Guru was 'wrong' & 'badly' handled, says Shashi Tharoor
- Have given it my all, not nervous about result: Kiran Bedi
- Japanese girl allegedly raped by tourist guide in Jaipur
An Australian court today ordered the fast food giant KFC to pay 8 million Australian dollars compensation to the parents of a Sydney girl who was left paralysed and brain damaged after eating its chicken twister.
Monika Samaan fell seriously ill with salmonella poisoning after eating at the Villawood KFC in 2005, according to media reports here.
The then-seven-year-old was in a coma for six months and acquired spastic quadraplegia with severe brain damage.
A New South Wales Supreme Court judge today ruled KFC will have to pay 8 million Australian dollars plus legal costs after the lengthy litigation case.
KFC denied it was responsible for the poisoning and said it will appeal the decision.
In a statement, the restaurant said the case was clearly tragic but they were "deeply disappointed and surprised" by Judge Rothman's decision.
"We believe the evidence showed KFC did not cause this tragedy and, after reviewing the judgement and seeking further advice from our lawyers, we have decided to appeal Justice Rothman's decision," KFC Australia's chief corporate affairs officer Sally Glover said.
The family's lawyer George Vlahakis said the costs of caring for the severely disabled girl had already exhausted "the limited resources of the family".
He said they were relieved the court battle was over.
"Monika's severe brain damage and severe disability has already exhausted the very limited resources of the family," he said.
"Monika is now a big girl and they are finding it increasingly difficult to lift her and to look after her basic needs as well as look after Monika's younger siblings."
"The compensation ordered is very much needed."