Girls flex muscle, show they mean business
- EC bans Amit shah, Azam Khan from holding public rallies after hate speech
- Congress complains to EC on Narendra Modi's marital status issue, seeks action for 'hiding facts'
- Rahul Gandhi brings up Narendra Modi's marital status at Doda rally
- PMO attacks Sanjaya Baru on his book
- April 11 Campaign roundup: Why should I condemn it, asks Deve Gowda on Mulayam Singh's 'rape' remark
In the wake of the gangrape of a 23-year-old girl inside a bus in Delhi, the Pune traffic police have initiated a drive against the vehicles with tinted glasses.
Rule 100 of the Central Motor Vehicles Rules, 1989, stipulates that the windscreen and the rear glass should have a minimum visibility of 70 per cent and side windows a minimum of 50 per cent. Any vehicles with glasses of opacity more than the stipulated limit is punishable as per local rules.
The traffic control branch initiated a drive against the vehicles with tinted glasses in Pune and Pimpri-Chinchwad.
Deputy commissioner of police (traffic control branch) said, "On Wednesday and Thursday we have fined 315 buses and 1,228 four-wheelers with dark films on the windows. On Thursday, police have taken action against 787 vehicles with the tinted glasses on Thursday including 30 buses which had private, tourists and school buses carriers." On Friday police took action against approximately same number of vehicles.
This year, police have penalised more than 15,000 such vehicles and have collected fine of Rs 16 lakh. Pandhare said a drive against drunk driving was also on.
In 6 years, over 450 rape cases in Pune
As per information obtained under Right to Information Act from Pune police commissionerate by activist Vihar Durve, as many as 456 cases of rape were registered with the Pune city police between January 2007 and September 2012. There were 67 rape cases registered in 2007, 91 in 2008, 66 in 2009, 89 in 2010, 78 in 2011 and 65 till in 2012, till September 30. The cases are registered under section 376 of Indian Penal Code. Besides, 563 cases of eve teasing were registered between January 2007 and September 2012. There were 78 eve teasing cases in 2007, 111 in 2008, 97 in 2009, 76 in 2010, 116 in 2011 and 85 in 2012, till September 30.
- Sagar Ghosh killing: Breather for DGP as HC stays single bench order
- Face of Gujarat riots is face of BJP: Mamata
- Cong seeks action against Advani on ‘wrong’ info in affidavit
- How can Modi honour women if he can’t mention his wife, asks Rahul
- Mewat simmers after poll clash, killing of Muslim youth
- Modi’s 3D avatar a hit in Jasdan