Girls in India not safe even from father, 13-mth-old baby Jiya tortured by depraved monster, family joins in
- Defiant Giriraj stands by his remark, says Pakistan trying to stop Narendra Modi from becoming PM
- Modi attacks Gandhis again, wonders how Rahul can lead country when he can't handle Amethi
- Emissary row: Sanjay Saraf dismisses reports of carrying any message from BJP
- Modi would have ousted Vajpayee just like Jaswant, Advani: Rahul Gandhi
- IPL 7 Live Score, RR vs KXIP: RR take on KXIP in battle of equals
A horrendous case today highlights yet again that to be born a girl in India means gross torture and worse.
In a throwback to 2012 baby battering cases of Baby Falak in Delhi and Ahuti Joshi in Mumbai, a 13-month-old girl was allegedly brutally beaten up by her father who was joined by some of his women relatives in the torture at their residence, police said today.
The baby Jiya, with her both legs and a hand fractured, had been admitted to a private hospital in Theragon near here last week, they said, adding the parents told the hospital authorities that the girl sustained injuries as she fell from her bed at their residence in Pimpri-Chinchwad town.
The girl's father Dastagir Hukkeri (28) was arrested on December 31 for allegedly thrashing his daughter as he was enraged over the birth of the third baby girl, police said.
Dastagir had two daughters from his previous marriage and remarried, apparently to have a son. However, his second wife too gave birth to the girl child.
According to police, the accused allegedly beat up Jiya with a rolling pin at his residence, police said, adding his wife kept mum as he had threatened her with dire consequences if she disclosed the torture.
However, she finally approached the police on December 31 and lodged a complaint against Dastagir and three of his women relatives, following which police arrested them.