Girnar Parikrama begins in Junagadh
- Arvind Kejriwal hits back at Jung on cancelling secy appointments
- US releases documents recovered in raid that killed Osama bin Laden
- Al Qaeda describes 26/11 Mumbai attack as 'heroic Fidai', 'blessed' operation
- Key member of Modi's poll campaign team likely to work for Nitish Kumar
- Food inspectors order recall of Maggi noodles, say it contains excess lead
The annual five-day Girnar Parikrama, the pilgrimage around Mt Girnar, began in Junagadh on Thursday, with lakhs of pilgrims thronging the forest and hills on the first day.
The pilgrimage formally began at 12 am, with Mahamandleshwar Bharti Bapu and Junagadh Municipal Commissioner Vipra Bhal cutting the ceremonial ribbon at the Rupayatan gate in Bhavnath.
Rupayatan is the entry-point of the 36-km route of the pilgrimage. Around 4 lakh people began their yatra on the first day of the event. The Junagadh Municipal Corporation, the district administration and the forest department have made elaborate arrangements for the event. The JMC has set up three information centres and a central control room to manage the flow of pilgrims as well as help them in case someone goes missing. ens