Girnar Parikrama begins in Junagadh
- Memon’s lawyers move SC seeking stay on his execution, high drama outside CJI's house
- ISIS preparing to attack India, likely to spark Indo-US confrontation: report
- Afghan intelligence: Taliban leader Mullah Omar dead for more than 2 years
- Whistleblower Sanjiv Chaturvedi, Anshu Gupta win Magsaysay award
- Abdul Kalam's mortal remains arrive in his hometown Rameswaram
The annual five-day Girnar Parikrama, the pilgrimage around Mt Girnar, began in Junagadh on Thursday, with lakhs of pilgrims thronging the forest and hills on the first day.
The pilgrimage formally began at 12 am, with Mahamandleshwar Bharti Bapu and Junagadh Municipal Commissioner Vipra Bhal cutting the ceremonial ribbon at the Rupayatan gate in Bhavnath.
Rupayatan is the entry-point of the 36-km route of the pilgrimage. Around 4 lakh people began their yatra on the first day of the event. The Junagadh Municipal Corporation, the district administration and the forest department have made elaborate arrangements for the event. The JMC has set up three information centres and a central control room to manage the flow of pilgrims as well as help them in case someone goes missing. ens