GJM meets chief secy to expedite power transfer to GTA
- Supreme Court strikes down Section 66A, says it violates right to speech
- Pakistan Day: PM greets, MoS VK Singh tweets #disgust
- DK Ravi's death: Govt calls in CBI, tells court he had a ‘relationship’ with batchmate
- Mufti Mohammad Sayeed says will take Army into confidence on AFSPA
- 1987 Hashimpura massacre: The photographs that stand witness
A three-member team headed by Gorkha Janmukti Morcha general secretary Roshan Giri today met new chief secretary Sanjoy Mitra at Writers' Building and urged him to expedite the process of power transfer of the newly formed Gorkha Territorial Administration.
Till now, notification of only six departments —- tourism, consumer affairs, animal resource development, power and consumer affairs —- have been completed. The GJM urged the chief secretary to convene a meeting before the pujas so that transfer of power of all the departments can be completed.
Giri said the process of transfer of power should have been complete by August 31 as had been decided soon after GTA was formed. "So we have asked him to expedite the process," he said.
The West Bengal government prepared a guideline for transfer of power to the various departments of the newly elected GTA in the Darjeeling hills after convening a high-level meeting with the GJM members on August 10. At that time, the then chief secretary Samar Ghosh said they had formulated a guideline for transfer of power under various departments to the GTA. The process was to be completed by August 31.