GJM sets ‘deadline’ for power transfer to GTA
- Quota row: Curfew imposed in Gujarat's Mehsana district
- Indrani Mukherjea, former Star TV CEO Peter Mukherjea's wife, arrested on murder charge
- India's population 121.09 crore; Hindus 79.8 pc, Muslims 14.2 pc: Census
- Kejriwal meets PM Modi, talks about better Centre-State relation
- BJP registers comfortable win in Bengaluru civic polls, setback for Congress
A six-member delegation from the Gorkha Territorial Administration (GTA) today held a meeting with state home secretary Basudeb Banerjee to discuss the issue of transfer of departments from the state government to the GTA.
The delegation was headed by GJM general secretary Roshan Giri and included senior GJM leader Binay Tamang and deputy executive of the GTA Col Ramesh Alley.
"We have requested the state government to expedite the process of transfer of departments. We were told that the home secretary will visit Darjeeling on November 26 to see how things are moving in the GTA," said Alley.
A senior GJM leader expressed displeasure over the delay in transfer. "The state government has delayed transfers of many departments. We want all the departments to be transferred by December 31. That is the deadline we have given to the state government," he said.
A total of 26 departments have so far been transferred to the GTA, though the body started functioning in August. According to the GTA Act, 57 subjects are yet to come under the GTA.