GMCH hosts psychiatry conference on migration and mental health
- Elections 2014 Live: Trinamool Congress workers beat up election officials in West Bengal
- Narendra Modi slams Mamata Banerjee, says she is playing vote bank politics
- #WhyiVoted: Let's hear it from India
- NSCN (IM) takes over Manipur booths, loads EVMs with votes
- Narendra Modi mentions wife Jashodaben in poll affidavit for first time
The Department of Psychiatry, GMCH-32, Chandigarh, is hosting the 19th National Conference of Indian Association for Social Psychiatry from November 23-25 beginning on Friday.
The three-day academic convention is being co-hosted by the World Psychiatry Association and the World Association for Social Psychiatry.
Considering the contemporary relevance and global recent trends in the field of psychiatry, the theme of the conference was kept as "Migration & Mental Health".
The chief guest K K Sharma inaugurated the International Academic Convention.
Prof B S Chavan, the organising chairperson, delivered the welcome address and presented the secretary generals' report of IASP. He welcomed the international and other esteemed national faculty and delegates on the occasion.
While introducing the theme "Migration & Mental Health" he said that due to a global trend of migration of a vast population from rural to urban cities and from urban to countries abroad, the people do not anticipate the challenges that lie ahead of them and fall prey to the stressful conditions which give rise to various psychosocial problems and mental health issues.
Prof Driss Moussaoui, president of the World Association of Psychiatry, Morocco congratulated the organizers for holding the large academic convention.
Moussaoui also said that the United Nations has declared that one out of every third person is a migrant and that urbanization is a major risk factor for mental health issues.
Prof Raj Bahadur, Patron of the Conference and Director Principal, GMCH introduced the chief guest.
Prof Priti Arun, the organizing secretary, delivered the vote of thanks and wished a warm welcome to all.
- Neemu Bhoumik seeks LS entry; people’s issues, Raiganj roots in mind
- Another Bittu, Simerjit file papers as Independents
- Firing at district food and civil supplies office, one injured
- Day after stand-off with EC, Didi vows ‘revenge’ over ‘insult’ by Delhi
- ‘Hate’ speech: Amit Shah moves HC for stay on arrest, quashing of FIRs
- Adarsh Shastri ‘covers’ for AAP’s Jaaferi