GMCH hosts psychiatry conference on migration and mental health
- In Mumbai, new warship system malfunctions, Navy officer killed
- SC calls Sahara proposal an âinsultâ, Subrata Roy to stay in jail till March 11
- I'm not a terrorist, Modi should have met me: Arvind Kejriwal
- Modi to hold 'Chai Pe Charcha' on women empowerment on Saturday
- Will not campaign for any candidate, says Anna Hazare
The Department of Psychiatry, GMCH-32, Chandigarh, is hosting the 19th National Conference of Indian Association for Social Psychiatry from November 23-25 beginning on Friday.
The three-day academic convention is being co-hosted by the World Psychiatry Association and the World Association for Social Psychiatry.
Considering the contemporary relevance and global recent trends in the field of psychiatry, the theme of the conference was kept as "Migration & Mental Health".
The chief guest K K Sharma inaugurated the International Academic Convention.
Prof B S Chavan, the organising chairperson, delivered the welcome address and presented the secretary generals' report of IASP. He welcomed the international and other esteemed national faculty and delegates on the occasion.
While introducing the theme "Migration & Mental Health" he said that due to a global trend of migration of a vast population from rural to urban cities and from urban to countries abroad, the people do not anticipate the challenges that lie ahead of them and fall prey to the stressful conditions which give rise to various psychosocial problems and mental health issues.
Prof Driss Moussaoui, president of the World Association of Psychiatry, Morocco congratulated the organizers for holding the large academic convention.
Moussaoui also said that the United Nations has declared that one out of every third person is a migrant and that urbanization is a major risk factor for mental health issues.
Prof Raj Bahadur, Patron of the Conference and Director Principal, GMCH introduced the chief guest.
Prof Priti Arun, the organizing secretary, delivered the vote of thanks and wished a warm welcome to all.
- Chai pe Charcha gets police protection, EC officials to check on poll norm violation
- Complaint against Kejriwal: Kutch cops gather evidence
- AAP chief to hold first public meeting in Gujarat today
- Nominations for North Bangalore primary begin
- ‘Our campaigning in the state will be out of the box’
- ‘Aai Retire Hotey’ to take the stage for 100th time today