GMSH-16 to finally have blood separating component
- Navy officer dies on board INS Kolkata off Mumbai
- SC calls Sahara proposal an âinsultâ, Subrata Roy to stay in jail till March 11
- I'm not a terrorist, Modi should have met me: Arvind Kejriwal
- Modi to hold 'Chai Pe Charcha' on women empowerment on Saturday
- Will not campaign for any candidate, says Anna Hazare
Four years after the approval accorded by concerned authorities and the assurance of the NACO that it will bear the expenses partially, lapsed, the Government Multi Specialty Hospital, Sector 16 is finally set to upgrade its blood bank to a Blood Component Separation Unit.
The proposal was actually mooted in 2009 and NACO had at that time agreed to bear most of the expenses as well. But due to lack of space then, the facility could not be set up.
However, recently, the authorities at the GMSH have come up with a complete plan to upgrade the existing blood bank and also to set up the Blood Component Separating Unit (BCSU) at it.
As a matter of practice, blood donated by a donor for blood transfusion is taken in a bag containing citrate phosphate of components such as red blood cells (RBC), platelet rich plasma, platelet concentrates and cryoprecipitate.
In its natural use, one unit can be used only on a single patient and there is every chance of the blood going to waste.
With the component separation facility, the GMSH-16 will be sufficient, both for itself as well as for patients in other hospitals. "It would facilitate the use of one unit of blood by three to four patients as per requirement," said another doctor at the hospital.
Once the blood separation machine is brought in, blood can be taken from the donor and after retaining the desired component, the same could be circulated back into the donor's body. A source in the hospital said, "It can be applied for harvesting normal cells from the donor or some abnormal toxic product from the patients. Mainly, it is used for collecting platelets from healthy donors for the benefit of patient suffering from various haematooncological disorders.
- Chai pe Charcha gets police protection, EC officials to check on poll norm violation
- Complaint against Kejriwal: Kutch cops gather evidence
- AAP chief to hold first public meeting in Gujarat today
- Nominations for North Bangalore primary begin
- ‘Our campaigning in the state will be out of the box’
- ‘Aai Retire Hotey’ to take the stage for 100th time today