GNDEC student dies, campus erupts in anger
- FIR against Giriraj Singh for Modi-Pak remark, BJP pulls him up
- Modi attacks Gandhis again, wonders how Rahul can lead country when he can't handle Amethi
- Malaysian Airlines flight to Bangalore makes air turnback, lands safely
- Vote for BSP to keep fascist forces, dynasty rule at bay: Mayawati to Muslims
- IPL 7: Glen Maxwell plays another blinder, leads KXIP to stunning win
Students of Guru Nanak Dev Engineering College (GNDEC), Gill Road, on Thursday went on strike after their fellow student passed away early Wednesday morning and was declared brought dead by doctors of Dayanand Medical College and Hospital (DMCH). The students demanded appointment of a permanent doctor on the college campus which has a dispensary with a part-time doctor till now.
Different stories surrounded the death of Niranjan Kumar, a second-year student of BTech (electronics) who passed away around 7.15 on Wednesday morning. He belonged to Churu in Rajasthan and his family took away his body on Wednesday after post-mortem.
On Thursday, as the students erupted in anger, cops from Sadar police station were deployed outside the campus.
Jatinderjeet Singh, SHO, Sadar police station, told Ludhiana Newsline, "We have kept the case pending under Section 174 of the CrPC (unnatural death). Students went on strike demanding a permanent doctor at college dispensary but they called off the strike after the college principal assured them of the same."
While principal M S Saini told Ludhiana Newsline that "no time was wasted and the student had been given proper medical attention for the past three days", a student from the same hostel claimed that Niranjan was shivering on the night of January 22 but since he was not taken to the hospital, his condition deteriorated. A 24-hour resident doctor would have saved him.
The principal said, "I accept there is no permanent doctor but we have a part-time doctor who is on duty for two hours in the evening. The student was given proper medical attention and was taken to hospital immediately after he fell unconscious."
GNDEC is one of the largest engineering colleges of Punjab affiliated to Punjab Technical University with a strength of more than 6,000 students.
Jan 21: Student not feeling well, slight fever and cold. Takes medicine from college dispensary.
- ‘We were in a bit of trouble initially but AB came in and he steadied the ship’
- Cops claim body was lifted from crime scene within 20 mins, family says it’s a lie
- After opening loss CSK face resurgent Daredevils
- Kirsten has given me new insight, says Coulter-Nile
- Nomination filed, the other Manpreet Badal goes missing
- M&M keep it sweet for punjab