GNDEC student dies, campus erupts in anger
- Varun Gandhi hits back at cousin Priyanka over 'astray' remark, says she crossed 'lakshman rekha of decency'
- Supreme Court grants recognition to transgenders as third category of sex
- SC rejects Kejriwal's plea to stay trial in defamation case filed by Kapil Sibal's son
- Unethical, betrayal: Prime Minister Manmohan Singhâs daughter voices family anger
- Modi equates Rahul with kids, says 'toffee' has caught his fancy after 'balloon'
Students of Guru Nanak Dev Engineering College (GNDEC), Gill Road, on Thursday went on strike after their fellow student passed away early Wednesday morning and was declared brought dead by doctors of Dayanand Medical College and Hospital (DMCH). The students demanded appointment of a permanent doctor on the college campus which has a dispensary with a part-time doctor till now.
Different stories surrounded the death of Niranjan Kumar, a second-year student of BTech (electronics) who passed away around 7.15 on Wednesday morning. He belonged to Churu in Rajasthan and his family took away his body on Wednesday after post-mortem.
On Thursday, as the students erupted in anger, cops from Sadar police station were deployed outside the campus.
Jatinderjeet Singh, SHO, Sadar police station, told Ludhiana Newsline, "We have kept the case pending under Section 174 of the CrPC (unnatural death). Students went on strike demanding a permanent doctor at college dispensary but they called off the strike after the college principal assured them of the same."
While principal M S Saini told Ludhiana Newsline that "no time was wasted and the student had been given proper medical attention for the past three days", a student from the same hostel claimed that Niranjan was shivering on the night of January 22 but since he was not taken to the hospital, his condition deteriorated. A 24-hour resident doctor would have saved him.
The principal said, "I accept there is no permanent doctor but we have a part-time doctor who is on duty for two hours in the evening. The student was given proper medical attention and was taken to hospital immediately after he fell unconscious."
GNDEC is one of the largest engineering colleges of Punjab affiliated to Punjab Technical University with a strength of more than 6,000 students.
Jan 21: Student not feeling well, slight fever and cold. Takes medicine from college dispensary.
- Modi wave is a myth, says Siddaramaiah
- In Mandya, discordant notes in show of Cong unity
- ‘Fakir’ Jankar takes on Pawar might in battle against ‘dynasty’
- Ballot paper in Braille to help blind persons cast their vote
- AAP volunteer attacked
- 64-year-old fights for Punjabi language, gets little support from political parties
- BJP dancing to the tune of RSS: Sonia Gandhi | The Indian Express
- After Sanjay Baru, former coal secretary Parakh’s book embarrasses PM; ‘Singh had little political authority’
- How can Modi honour women if he can’t mention his wife, asks Rahul
- Rahul Gandhi insulting Ambedkar by taking credit for laws: Narendra Modi