Go to President and get Beant killer released, Akal Takht orders Badal
- Anandiben Patel slams Amit Shah and he shows her who’s boss
- Narendra Modi town hall: PM to interact with nation later today
- 14 killed in Assam's Kokrajhar after suspected Bodo militants open fire at village market
- Day 29, curfew continues in Kashmir as death toll rises to 54
- France: At least 13 killed in Rouen bar fire
The five Sikh high priests today directed Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal, SAD president Sukhbir Singh Badal and Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee (SGPC) chief Avtar Singh Makkar to "immediately" meet the President and take appropriate steps through the state and union governments to ensure the "unconditional release" of Babbar Khalsa International terrorist Balwant Singh Rajoana.
Rajoana, convicted for the assassination of former chief minister Beant Singh, has been ordered to be hanged on March 31 by a Chandigarh court.
Reading the order, Akal Takht chief Giani Gurbachan Singh also conferred the title of 'Zinda Shaheed' (Living Martyr) on Rajoana for his "brave, determined and fearless stand against the atrocities by the centre". He also bestowed upon Dilawar Singh, who had blown up Beant Singh and died in the process, the title of 'National Martyr of Sikhs'.
The Akal Takht chief said the decision was reached in daylong deliberations by the high priests on more than 250 written suggestions received from religious, political and social organisations.
- Institutionalisation of GST regime has more than a touch of romance
- SC's Arunachal judgement could give leeway to unprincipled politicians
- Odds are so much in Hillary's favour that Trump might eventually withdraw from race
- HC verdict turned principle of parliamentary democracy on its head in Delhi
- Clerics above law
- Rio Olympics: Yet again, India has managed to look disheveled