Go to President and get Beant killer released, Akal Takht orders Badal
- Janata Parivar Wedding: PM Narendra Modi 'showstopper' at Saifai
- Sena defends Modi suit auction, says see what amount Rahul's wardrobe would fetch
- The net widens: Top executives from five firms, two consultants arrested
- After Manjhi anti-climax, Nitish begins second act: ‘With folded hands, sorry’
- Congress yet to apologise for coal loss, says PM Narendra Modi
The five Sikh high priests today directed Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal, SAD president Sukhbir Singh Badal and Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee (SGPC) chief Avtar Singh Makkar to "immediately" meet the President and take appropriate steps through the state and union governments to ensure the "unconditional release" of Babbar Khalsa International terrorist Balwant Singh Rajoana.
Rajoana, convicted for the assassination of former chief minister Beant Singh, has been ordered to be hanged on March 31 by a Chandigarh court.
Reading the order, Akal Takht chief Giani Gurbachan Singh also conferred the title of 'Zinda Shaheed' (Living Martyr) on Rajoana for his "brave, determined and fearless stand against the atrocities by the centre". He also bestowed upon Dilawar Singh, who had blown up Beant Singh and died in the process, the title of 'National Martyr of Sikhs'.
The Akal Takht chief said the decision was reached in daylong deliberations by the high priests on more than 250 written suggestions received from religious, political and social organisations.
Earlier, a group of pro-Khalistan activists raised slogans against the clergy for nearly 40 minutes outside the Akal Takht secretariat.