Go to President and get Beant killer released, Akal Takht orders Badal
- India and Pakistan talks at SAARC meet: will there be more than the usual rhetoric?
- Won’t act if students hold Osama event: Princeton University President
- NDA’s Aadhaar Bill stronger than UPA’s on privacy: Nandan Nilekani
- Now it’s Congress: Bharat Mata Ki Jai or else
- Umar Khalid, Anirban led mob that raised slogans: Delhi Police
The five Sikh high priests today directed Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal, SAD president Sukhbir Singh Badal and Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee (SGPC) chief Avtar Singh Makkar to "immediately" meet the President and take appropriate steps through the state and union governments to ensure the "unconditional release" of Babbar Khalsa International terrorist Balwant Singh Rajoana.
Rajoana, convicted for the assassination of former chief minister Beant Singh, has been ordered to be hanged on March 31 by a Chandigarh court.
Reading the order, Akal Takht chief Giani Gurbachan Singh also conferred the title of 'Zinda Shaheed' (Living Martyr) on Rajoana for his "brave, determined and fearless stand against the atrocities by the centre". He also bestowed upon Dilawar Singh, who had blown up Beant Singh and died in the process, the title of 'National Martyr of Sikhs'.
The Akal Takht chief said the decision was reached in daylong deliberations by the high priests on more than 250 written suggestions received from religious, political and social organisations.
- Why criticism of the Ujwal Discom Assurance Yojana is misplaced and unwarranted
- Dear Governor Solanki, please withhold your assent to the Punjab SYL bill
- To optimise the potential for medical tourism, stop formulating and implementing policies in silos
- Why riots, agitations are often accompanied by heightened levels of violence against women
- Telescope: On Women’s Day only
- Punjab has a small share of its own rivers, a farming crisis. Solution doesn’t lie in court