- Day after Rahul Gandhi slams PM Modi, Amit Shah condemns politics over surgical strikes
- Prohibition to stay in Bihar: SC stays Patna HC judgment setting aside liquor ban
- US says does not support declaring Pakistan a 'terrorist state'
- Talk on stage at Parrikar event: 200 killed, atom bomb vs atom bomb
- Hurricane Matthew: Haiti death toll rises to 339, deadly storm hits Florida
Russian President Vladimir Putin may get a taste of Goa, when he comes to India in December for the annual bilateral summit. South Block has invited him to go to Goa, after they had to postpone the visit schedule for early November. The MEA wisdom is that Putin, who is fond of beaches and swimming, will not only enjoy Goa, but also get an opportunity to catch up with the affluent and powerful Russian population there. It remains to be seen whether he chooses to take up New Dellhi's offer.
THE certainty with which CBI Director Amar Pratap Singh has moved so far on his post-retirement job at the National Human Rights Commission is beginning to come under a cloud. While the government is still set to propose his name, it's getting strong feelers from the Opposition top brass in Parliament that they were uncomfortable with his candidature. The selection panel for NHRC members comprises either of the two Leaders of Opposition. Last heard, Singh has begun to do the rounds of BJP leaders. Incidentally, Singh has kept his tastefully done Tughlaq Crescent House with the hope of bagging the NHRC job.
A senior bureaucrat recently earned the ire of top Home Ministry officials when an alleged bungling of file relating to an IPS officer's appointment was discovered. Neeraj Kansal, a 1993 batch officer of the Central Board of Custom and Excise, is being repatriated to his parent cadre by the Home Ministry. Kansal came to MHA on deputation in 1998 and is three months short of completing his five-year tenure. However, he had Home Secretary R K Singh quite annoyed with all his meddling in transfers and posting well beyond his remit as Director (Police), apparently because orders went out without the hierarchy first knowing about them. He has been shifted to the personnel department until his orders come through.
- Revealing Elena Ferrante’s identity violates her desire for privacy
- Breakdown of LoC ceasefire will make it difficult for army to control infiltration
- Academic publishers suit shows how much they benefitted from intellectual commons
- Lack of unity has prevented Sindhi nationalists from pressuring Islamabad
- India must be prepared to deal with a disease that is growing globally
- Challenge for India’s leaders is to show that strength can be blended with subtlety & deftness